Rear beam modifications

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumc

Anyone stiffened the rear beam to any degree? I'm thinking of welding a piece of flat bar along the inside of the rear beam to effectively make it a triangular section rather than just a lenth of angle iron, obviously stopping it from flexing. Would stiffen the backend up and reduce roll and i would imagine keep the tyres flatter on the road. I can't see how this could be bad other than potentially making the back end a little more liable to skip about over big bumps in corners, but that I can live with.
Any thoughts?

You will not regret doing it, car will stick to the road but make sure you chuck in some polybushes and get a front lower brace as it will twist the shell in cornering. Do it and youl get awesome 3 whelers :)

the car is polybushed at the rear and got new std bushes everywhere else, inculding top mounts, along with h+r coilovers.

ive never really bought into the idea of strut braces in fairness, not on newer cars anyway, do they really make any difference?

im tempted to stitch weld the shell and subframe aswell so would probably eliminate any need for strutbraces really.

and ive thought about antiroll bars but think this could be just as effective but far easier and potentially more effective.

on a side note, anyone ever messed about with camber modifications on the front subframes? ill post up another thread actually, this is something else im toying with doing.

Front under body brace is the only one I find makes the biggest difference in the pumas n fiesta, same as the standard s brace on earlier mk3 fezzys.

it does make a noticable difference though?

id probably make my own, because im a tight arse :lol:

Latest posts

Back