Removing engine

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cj2013

For a short term option I've sourced a cheap engine whilst I suss out what's gone wrong with the one in situ...

ETIS is overly and unnecessarily drawn out so isn't much use, but....

Has anyone managed to swap an engine out on the 1.7 whilst leaving the gearbox in situ?

I've done this before on other cars, motivation here being that I've just changed the gearbox oil and put the bugger back in, I'd prefer to not have to remove the whole lot all over again.

I know it's not considered 'ideal', but anyone tried it?

You can leave the gearbox oil by splitting the shaft at the CV joints and leaving the cups in place. So you have the small cup on the nearside at the box, and the lay shaft across the back of the engine still in the bearing, with the cup next to that having dislocated the offside shaft. It'll need new clips on the boots but less messing than doing the box oil.

I'd also think dropping the engine and box out, swapping the box to your replacement engine, and re-fitting the lot will be easier than leaving the box in there. I'd far rather line a box up and get it all bolted home when there's not a car in the way but that is my preference.

You have two nuts and three studs on the upper mount and four bolts on the lower. All of which you can access and see.

Box you have nine bolts I think, many of which you can't see, plus the faffing lining the clutch up.

I've got a bag of CV clips and the right pliers so that's not an issue.

On ETIS ford seem to be obsessed with taking everything off and then dropping the two, but I'm sure real word breakers like yourself have better methods ;)

Last swap i did,we dropped engine and box,it was easier in the long run,but i will say remove the rad as it will make refitting much easier.

i took the engine out of the puma i bought without taking the box off, was quite easy to be honest. iv never done one before and me and a mate who has done a few before had it out in hour and a half

Latest posts

Back