Removing exhaust paste from joints

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sylvester

Hi all, I want to change the back box, been cut before, and last time I took it to a garage, I shouldn't have I know now, because I'd have done that as well and they charged me £60 as well :( Anyway that guy put a paste between the joints and now the silencer is stuck and can't remove it. Any ideas? Like driving without the clamp to losen it up? Thanks

Hacksaw along/across/around the joint if you can get at it, then peel back the end of the pipe with a suitable flat bladed tool, once its peeled back a little it normally comes free with a little brute force
Angle grinder is quicker option but mind you don't cut into the pipe you need to save.

zinc2000 said:
[post]368112[/post] once its peeled back a little it normally comes free with a little brute force
Thanks Zinc. If I move the silencer normally the whole system wiggles, so if I use brute force on it, dragging back and forth, can I damage any part of the exhaust system by shaking it like an orange juice, or it'd be okay? Thanks

Violent shaking may damage the cat at the front end.....best not to do that, twist the silencer, don't pull it until it starts to loosen

zinc2000 said:
[post]368124[/post] Violent shaking may damage the cat at the front end.....best not to do that, twist the silencer, don't pull it until it starts to loosen
Okay I'll do that, thank you :)

Crack the joint all the way round with a hammer, should loosen it up enough to twist and pull the back box off. All else fails, cut it off with a slitting disk and chisel whatever is left off :wink:

Robyorks said:
[post]368144[/post] Crack the joint all the way round with a hammer, should loosen it up enough to twist and pull the back box off. All else fails, cut it off with a slitting disk and chisel whatever is left off :wink:
Problem is there isnt much space underneath to hit it hard with a hammer, got no jack so I just park downhill to have more room :/ and I got a feeling that paste acts like a glue too, so I'll try what Zinc said as well, hitting-shaking. Dont wanna cut it off completely, because I wanna use this back box later, just want to noise-test another one as well, so need this one back in one piece. Thanks

Unfortunatelly the back box is completely stuck, had enough trying for 3 days :( hacksaw it is then

i would be cutting through the pipe to the back box and not the centre pipe, that way you could then gain access to slit the remains of the silencer pipe and remove whilst still saving the correct length of centre pipe for you knew silencer

Back