Removing rear quarter window - any tips?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlashBastd

Looks like I am going to get one of my rear quarters repainted as part of a minor rust repair. There is a small scratch and a shopping trolley dent, so at least those will be gone.

Unfortunately I HATE masking lines, so I really want to remove the reat quarter window before the repair, I understand this is not a nice job, and wondered if anyone had any tips?

Thanks!

Just make sure you have ALOT of time and patience... don't try and pull even if they feel loose, more a case of cutting through the rubber until you have removed it all the way around....

oh and also don't heat the rubber either lol (elvin did that on my old one and shattered it ;) )

imo, you need a vibrating blade to cut the sealant. it is not an easy job and you need the correct tools to do it. If you damaged it, you can get a replacement window brand new from fords for just £50 (not too expensive imo)

No, I am contemplating getting a spare new one, that way if I get it out intact, then great, but if I break it, not to worry.

How nasty of a job is refitting?

Thanks for the help!

make sure you put some pics up flash as I would love to see this in action as I didn't know you could remove the rear quarter panel. mine need replacing imo

loool read that wrong... :( still want to see some pics but not really what i wanted any more lol

rear quarters windows are bonded in usually with sikaflex I used to do windows when I was a panel beater there is a few ways of doing it heat knife, draw knife with pull handle but can usually be removed with a sharp stanley blade , but if you wreck the rubbers you will need new seals. Putting them back is the more difficult part the flange where the sits on to needs all old bonding removed then keyed with scotchbrite pad then there is a primer thats meant to be used for prevention of UV damage to bonding agent but should get away with out using it , then get bonding sealant ( we used sikaflex) cut the end of the nozzle then cut a V about 10 mm deep & about 5 mm wide this ensures even distribution of sealant & apply in one continuous action around window aperture (if you miss any bits this causes leaks)fit window make sure properly positioned then apply masking tape to hold until set do not drive for at least a couple of hours as this can affect the the sealing of the window .

I hope this helps

p.s do you not know anyone that works for autoglass or auto windscreens as they could put new ones in for you & put it through as vandalism & would only cost you the windscreen excess on your policy if you are fully comp :wink:

FlashBastd said:
No, I am contemplating getting a spare new one, that way if I get it out intact, then great, but if I break it, not to worry.

How nasty of a job is refitting?

Thanks for the help!

job of refitting is easy :) i did it myself and al i needed was some industrial grade sealant and thats that ;) removing the previous window's sealant is a pain though. had to use a sharp knife t slice off the sealant bit by bit.

Back