replacing side repeaters - few probs sorted.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommo1051

Hi, so following the great guide on this forum I have changed to smoked repeaters. Not quite straightforward, so I thought I'd put this up for other Newbies.
Neither of the side lights would budge when i tried to turn them , even with WD40. Not wanting to remove wheel and wheel arch liner I went down the 'two screw' method and drilled a couple of holes in the lens using a tiny drill bit and screwed in two woodchip screws(as per pic) then simply using the screwdriver as a sort of lever between the screws and easily turned the passenger side lens CLOCKWISE and it popped out lovely.tied a bit of string around the connector to stop it falling back in the hole and then moved onto the drivers side
Same process , two screws drilled , turned clockwise etc. HOWEVER, this time the connector would not come through the hole. The hole on this side must be smaller for some reason.
So no option but jack car up and remove wheel. The wheel arch liner has several screws around the edge, and I removed only three which allowed me to get my hand up behind the liner so I could hold the back of the repeater. I could then pop of the lens change bulb and put on the new smoked lens.
At this point I thought I could simply push the fitment into position and turn it anti clockwise to lock it into place. Not so. No matter how hard I tried the bugger would not turn. So I then took the lens of again and removed the rubber washer that came with the new lens and replaced it with the old one from the original. The old rubber was flatter, either through wear or was made like that, and was still in good nick. The lens then turned straight away and locked into place.
Wheelarch liner back on , wheel on, job done.
Back to passenger side, which was easier because the fitment could be pulled through the hole, so no need to remove wheel etc. I stood on the string to prevent the fitment falling back through the hole while I worked.
Ps. I cleaned up around both the indicator holes before sticking the new ones in. Also I did put tape around the lights to prevent damage in case of slipping when drilling into the old lenses. Plus a little cross of tape on the lens, just in case.
Hope this adds a bit to the great guide already on here, without which I would still have orange lenses. :grin:
Did try to attach a couple of pics but technophone so couldn't.

I put clear Fiat Coupe ones on my Puma and I just pulled the plastic arch liner back and I managed to get even my large hands in

Back