Rocker cover stud help.

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seg

Hi guys.

Back again with yet another problem.

When I replaced the rocker cover gasket, the front left nut holding the rocker cover down wouldn't undo, instead it undid the whole stud that bolts down to the head. I couldn't for the life of me remove the nut from the stud from the rocker cover, so I put it back together like that and all was fine.

Sine having the head done, I have a oil leak again and upon trying to nip the nuts up, the stud isn't tightening anymore. The thread in the head appears to be knackered as I have tried a new stud and it does the same.

Can anyone recommend a remedy for this other than a new head. Would liquid metal work? or something similar.

Any advice, much appreciated.

Thanks

Seg

I think theres something called helicoiling that may fix it but not sure about cost or accessibility for your needs.

It involves inserting a bit of new metal with a thread in it iirc.

or maybe just plain old retapping it with a larger thread for a larger bolt might do it.

I'd go with the retapping as above, not sure how the liquid metal type stuff would work with the heat on the head.

Thanks for the replies guys. Not sure how ill het on re tapping it. It would need a new stud of a larger size, plus it needs to go through one of the pieces that hold the front cam down.

Scratching my head now.

Seg

Hey Zinc.

I found this picture online:

Its not of mine, but you get the idea. Its the thread inside the head that by all accounts is knackered. The stud will bite a little, but not enough to tighten the rocker cover down fully.

Seg

Thanks Quest.

Not sure where I could get one made up.

After everything I have gone through with this car, I am starting to get dis-heartened now. I am wondering if it is worth all the hassle. The missus has given up on it and bought a little 57 plate KA to get her to work. I am at a point now where I have to decide whether to run it till tax runs out then take it off road and do it up or sack it off all together.

Seg

Hi Simon
One last thing that might work without a helicoil or retapping. If you can get in to the threaded bit in the head and clean it out with petrol so it's spotlessly clean you could try putting slow setting araldite onto the existing stud before you thread it in. You will need to leave it for a day I would say before putting pressure on it and I wouldn't use a nylock nut on it but it may work. That Araldite stuff is wonderful but everything has to be totally de-greased for it to work.
Barry

Have used that stuff before, trouble is, as with any fixative/epoxy type stuff, everything has to be spotless for it to bond firmly, could be hard to do without removing head.

If you have an engineering workshop nearby take the stud to them, it could be all thats needed is a slightly longer thread into the head for it to grip. You can drop a small screwdriver into the hole and check the depth to see if there is any space for a longer stud first.

Cheers Zinc.

Just had a word with the father in law (he works in engineering), he has suggested the hole is drilled and a heli-coil put in there (as also suggested by Questy, cheers pal). He said he will give me a hand with it on sunday. So ill just have to hold out till then.

Thanks all for the advice

That's the best way to deal with it as you retain the original thread size but just make sure you protect the inside of the head as there might be a bit of swarf.
Barry

tuonokid said:
That's the best way to deal with it as you retain the original thread size but just make sure you protect the inside of the head as there might be a bit of swarf.
Barry

Will do mate. Got all sorts done today. Changed aux belt, repaired pas sensor plug, sorted rear brakes as they were un evenly set and changed one of the plugs as I had a misfire on cylinder 4.

Thanks Barry

Seg

Helicoil, sometimes sold as Recoil is the way. Often used to strengthen a thread in a casting from manufacture.
Its the correct way to repair it.
Make sure you use the correct sized drill and keep both drill and the tap square to the head or you will end up with a p!ssed stud that will make getting an oil tight seal.

Good luck

tuonokid said:
You're very welcome Simon and good luck with the work, I hope it's just about fully sorted now.
Barry

Thanks Barry. I do too. I cant even think of adding any mods or tarting it up until she is running right.

fairlight said:
Helicoil, sometimes sold as Recoil is the way. Often used to strengthen a thread in a casting from manufacture.
Its the correct way to repair it.
Make sure you use the correct sized drill and keep both drill and the tap square to the head or you will end up with a p!ssed stud that will make getting an oil tight seal.

Good luck

Thanks Fairlight. I will bare this in mind. :eek:k:

Seg

Latest posts

Back