s1600 pumas

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulob1

anyone know much about these cars...really fancy one for my weekend fun on tracks and things, only 220 bhp but with their low weight and front wheel drive think that is likely to be enough...not cheap mind but anyone got any infor about them...I am going to see Chris Burbeck on wednesday to have a look at one...not for sale but to get an idea of the potential for one...i knwo i could likely buy a faster more modern car but that would be boring..the GTR is way too fast for me, I have too much lead in my foot and I would not have a licence within a few weeks.

£37,500

http://www.motorsport-sales.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=304&products_id=993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EURO 27000

http://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-for-sale/rally-car-1571.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EURO 39000

http://www.rally24.com/rally-cars-for-sale/rally-car-10000.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£26500

http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrck&md=details&id=55897" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£10000 for S1400
http://www.rallycarsforsale.net/clas/index.php?ct=fsrck&md=details&id=54166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

OOh interesting, has anyone ever driven one and are they really only a racing car with racing car issues or could one be used as a regular driver...

okay trip tosee the SS1600 delayed due to work, am now going up on the 5th, staying over at a local hotel on the 4th and seeing the cars on the 5th...would really fancy a lightweight car for track day fun, maybe with around 250 bhp....enough for front wheel drive I think...

should be seeing that sort of power from the turbo conversion I am going for on FRP Pumabird 2

I had a mate who was well in to his rallying around 9 to 10 years ago, starting in a Talbot than move on to the ford KA rally series, which he won first time out, result. First prize ford puma 1400s for the next season curtsey of ford motorsport, silver and loud. I had just got my first series 1 which was just outstanding; it knocked spots of ever car i had previously owned, however he though they we terrible. Basically he was having such a terrible time in this 1400s, telling me that he just could not get it to do what he wanted, he had spent hours trying different suspension set ups and had even had it checked on a jig to make sure it was all straight. In the end he did not continue and ended up getting a lancer.

i went to see them. i saw the one that won the monte carlo rally. Was very nice but cannot understand why you could not make it do what you want. I want mine set up for fast track and road...with 250 bhp 800 kg approximately which is about 312bhp per ton, not bad, it certainly puts her into the very fast car section..a gtr has only 540 bhp in a 1.7 ton chassis, aside from the weight issue full stop, this means even it only has 317 bhp per ton...fairly even match me thinks on track...once i am moving and have just 800 kg to throw about it would be very nimble and fast I would think...certainly in the 10-120 mph range which is usuall the working range on a track...with a track day car...

so my choices are this...gtr R35 say around 40-50k...or a rally puma with tuned suspension, sequential box, 250 BHP, maybe more for about the same price, and totally unique...both would be road legal but not convinced i would want to drive my track day car on the road...so if i got a track day GTR it would be a waste not to use it on the road...but what a car if i had a rally puma on the road, the looks of gtr owners as i at least kept up with them on the straights and beat them around the bends...oh what do i do...still think winning the lottery and having both may be the only answer...

That's some choice of cars you can pick from.

I see loads of gtr's around here and they are stunning! The sound they produce is unreal. One of my dream cars :)

Can honestly say I've never actually seen a rally puma moving! Very rare and probly only a hand full that would actually be used on the road. Again I can imagine a very awesome car to drive and own.

My view is they are both completely different cars! The gtr is a very quick luxury car that would be confortable driving every day with the power when you want it that will be perfect for a summer blast and track day occasionally. Where the rally puma is very rore and I can imagine a pain on daily commutes and traffic! But get it on an open country lane or track day and I can imagine not many cars will keep up no matter what they cost or how much power they have!

It's completely upto you what you really want in a car. The only way to solve it is like you said and win the lottery and buy both, haha.

I agree, I am going to try the nitrous and turbo puma frp first, once I know how that goes then I will make some decisions....it will give me a good indication of the performance of a rally puma car...and that is before I drop the weight a bit

remember the suspension system on the S1600 is COMPLETELY different to the FRP so handles in a completely different league!! Especially the fact everything is custom designed including a fully independant rear beam.

Interestingly the S1400 cars used a almost standard rear beam with large spacers and a few stiffening bars fitted so you could replicate that on an FRP to improve the handling if you wanted.

2011-09-17235503.jpg

See how the stiffening plate is welded on the beam and also a tie bar is added to ensure theres no flex with the spacer.

my thoughts are that the std frp with nitrous and the turbo will give me a good indication of the feel for the cars...I know the system is totally different. It is real race car tech...but at 30-50k for one at the right spec I have to be sure I really want one...

Ive driven a S1600 before...i wouldn't want to drive one a daliy driver as there so peaky and high up the rev range! Though you can't beat a bit of sequential gearbox when the roads opens up, which mostly with so many cars on the road is few and far between!
...But driving any rally spec or race spec car on public roads is always special...its makes you feel like a 10 year old again!!!

yes agree the standard engine is too peaky, I was thinking of fitting the duratec 1800, either with turbo or throttle bodies, aiming for 250 bhp up to 300. no plans really to use it on the road although it would be road legal...cannot imagine it as a daily driver, but as I say right now cost seems a tad high for a bit of a toy....when i could buy for the same money a perfectly repectable gtr and be a tad quicker and have a reasonably comfortable car for road use...

check out the spec on this one for £9k, not a bad buy for someone

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/3502951.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Simon

if you want a technical heads up i have copies of the s1400 and s1600...pm me or warren

as for the gtr...gorgeous,stunning, fast....but you should see the looks of death the drivers give an frp owner who can keep up with him through the peak district on a fairly open road! on a motorway the frp wouldnt stand a chance and overtaking on country roads is a bit trickier with only 160bhp....but by the next corner he had been caught up!

im biased cos im building one but personally id be looking for a 4wd rally puma replica....
my reasons for this are thus; a road puma will need modifying to get it quick, a s1600 will need modding to drive easily enough for most to live with. either car will require A LOT of money to make it maintainable...s1600 may need detuning (struts are app a grand a corner!), road puma will need a lot of better parts to run on track

what im doing; s1600 themed frp keeping some road comforts, lots of track upgrades, independent rear suspension and 4wd.

im using rs2000 4x4 parts (alloy rear subframe, 60% rear torque) and although the frp is already more powerful than an rs2000 i want a v6 engine...just cos! a turbo 4 pot would be more sensible...

Back