Sensible daily - Honda Civic

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say these are the first LEDs i've had that failed, and i've got some in my Puma that my brother bought for his Civic about 5 years ago.

The CANBUS business is just for cars that have bulb check lights (eg. BMWs) because regular LEDs don't give enough resistance for the car to know there's a bulb in there. In terms of reliability they are just the same. But as with anything you get what you pay for and £1.99 for eight bulbs probably was a warning, but the ones in the back are fine. Luckily i have spares :eek:k:

When I got the CANBUS ones for my Focus I think they were about £15 a pair :pinkeye:

Had a minor setback last night:

Thankfully only the front blew so I could get home on the spare (which I realised I never balanced).

It just shows how actually paying attention to the road can really help :lol:

But the worst part is that I can't get those Acceleras anymore so I've got to have odd pairs now, which does grind my gears. Well no the worst part is that the tyres have done about 1000 miles and I've just binned two of them for a stupid mistake. Although I will pass some blame on to the person who decided to stick a curb out into the motorway without any warning. For those that are familiar with the area I was coming from the M67 to the M60 outer and there's a lane to bypass the roundabout, which looks like it's two lanes but very quickly becomes one :evil:

So that's another bit of cash I've thrown away, it's all I seem to do these days.

It's been mostly quiet in OAP motoring land, until I had the MOT yesterday. Classic Honda failure on the rear trailing arm bushes, something I've changed more times than I can remember.

Luckily that was all, the only other setback being that I had LEDs in the front sidelights, which I took out because they would fail, and I dropped one inside the headlamp. So I need to take off the bumper to get the headlamp out so I can strip it down and get the bulb out. Ah well it's a Honda so the bumper comes off in about 5 minutes so it's not all bad.

So I'll get some bushes, may splash on some polys for fit and forgetness. Then an oil change and sort out a cold air intake, as currently the cone filter is sucking up too much hot air.

Sayonara for now.

Banganomics at its best!

Do LED lights always fail the MOT? I took a chance when I had my MOT this year, I thought they'd pick me up on it but the didn't mention a thing!

As long as the light coming out an LED bulb is white enough and doesn't have a blue tinge, then there's no reason to fail it.

Ayup Tom
When's the 1.7 swap happening? Let's hope you can make it to the Sherburn show in March/April. Looking forward to it :grin:
Barry

As Dal said as long as they are the right colour they should pass, I have white ones in the Puma and they are no problem. However I have green ones in this so it would fail.

As for the Puma engine Barry it shouldn't be long now, as the insurance is sorted, I just need to find the time to do it, and as I'll need help from my brother he needs to be free at the same time as me, which never happens.

Took a small detour last night

Ended up there for nearly 3 hours until my brother came and dragged us out.

Safe to say it's the stupidest thing I've ever done :lol:

Bloody hell Tom, how did he drag that out as it looks like it's up to the floors in sludge?
In the photo you look pretty proud of yourself for getting it so far :) I hope it's ok.
Barry

It came out surprisingly easily. Nothing like a V8 Discovery to get you out of a hole in the ground. It was sat on the floor at the front and the lower arms at the back were dug in too.

I only got so far because of how fast I was going when I came off the road :lol:

At first it was a rolling about laughing situation, but it quickly turned into a looking for a noose situation

Had a bit of a nightmare with the little ninja in the last week.

I took it for an MOT about a month ago, three weeks before it was due so that if it failed I could still use it whilst fixing it up. It did fail, but only on the trailing arm bushes, no advisories either.

It's a Honda so I figured it'd be an easy job; strip it down in the morning, shoot to Kwik Fit to use their press to swap the bushes, throw it back together and have it MOT'd by the end of the day.

Not so easy it seems. Being four link independent suspension it required quite some stripping down, including removing the hubs and everything. Not having the time or the help needed I couldn't get it fixed until the original MOT had run out, leaving me with no car at all. So I had to make time to fix it, and got it into the workshop last Friday.

The strip down went fairly well, only shearing one bolt, the trailing arm to LCA bolt was rusted into the bush, and seeing as the rest of the bushes in both LCAs were almost shot, I decided to order new arms for both sides. The parts supplier said they would arrive Monday morning, for about £30 each. Result, I thought. A little longer without a car but I'll just have to brave the weather and use my bike. So Monday came and still no parts, Tuesday came and finally they arrived. But lo and behold they'd sent the upper control arms instead, and the lower arms were £100 each, so that idea went out the window. Through research I found that the individual bushes were available from Honda for £15, so ordered one. I put everything else back together, leaving just the one LCA when the new bush arrives.

It showed up and looked good, so off to Kwik Fit we went. Old bush comes out, new bush goes i...

It doesn't fit.

So in the spirit of scrapheap challenge we cut the LCA to squeeze the new bush in, welded it all back together and put it on the car.

After a troublesome brake bleed, and a burst brake pipe, it was finally back on the ground and driving.

The rear tracking was well out due to bent trailing arms - a consequence of pressing out the old ones - so had it in for four wheel alignment after the MOT.

It passed the test on Wednesday but they didn't have time to track it till the next day, but I needed the car on the night so I picked it up and would take it back the next day. The drive that night down to a pub in the middle of nowhere was, interesting, on a rainy night with the back end sliding all over the place. Anyway we made it to the pub (the wench was a little scared by the time we arrived) and all was good. Had a drink or two, got back into the car and it wouldn't start; no fuel. So we had to walk to the nearest petrol station to get a fuel can. After an hour and a half we were back on the road.

So then yesterday I dropped it off for tracking. Got a call at the end of the day; they can't do it. Apparently it's so far out there isn't enough adjustment to get it right - it's toeing in at the rear massively - but I had a quick look underneath and it's not even at the end of the adjustment, so I'm going to have a crack at it tonight myself, and I'll bet I can get it a damn sight straighter than the orangutan at Kwik Fit.

So here we are, still with a bent car and a Monday evening deadline (going on holiday in it) and a rapidly declining amount of hair as I tear it out.

Anyway let's see how tonight goes, I'll get round to servicing it too, and hopefully have time to repaint the front wheels after they got ruined during my stint as a mud bogger.

:eek:k:

Latest posts

Back