Shock replacement/Is it necessary to replace springs too?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zedder

I´m going to get my Puma´s front shock absorbers replaced in January. Is it necessary to replace springs too? How much difference would new springs make? I tried to measure the ride height and if I have not understood completely wrong how to do it it seems that front springs have not sagged much.

On eBay there are many different springs available (and I guess from local parts dealers too), but I´m not sure about their quality. How much does OE Ford springs and shocks cost? If I buy cheap springs and they get broken very soon it would not be a nice thing.

I don´t want to lower my car, only to restore it´s suspension to original specifications.

In my opinion the springs should last the lifetime of the car.I cant imagine you would even notice new replacement springs, whereas you should definately notice the difference with new shock absorbers.Presuming of course that the old ones were worn.
Check them for cracks but if they look ok they probably are.If your suspension is a little lower than what you think they should be perhaps it is due to the rubber shock mounts being compressed with age,it would be good to replace these though.

If I was going to replace the shocks I'd replace the springs as a matter of course too. They do wear out and depending on age they may brake at anytime so for the extra cost I'd fit them at the same time saving money and labour fitting them a few months down the road. Plus as far as I know it's the springs that maintain the ride height - the shocks are there to do as they say, absorb the shocks, so if your ride height is low it'll most likely be down to worn springs.

Now I have no idea what to do:

I got my Puma´s suspension tested at local Ford garage, and readings said that front left side (driver´s side here) is 77% and right side is 80% and so shock absorbers are in very good condition... I still think there is something wrong with front suspension, it feels too soft or "bumpy" and there is too much up and down movement. These tests are not very good indicators I think.

Perhaps a previous owner of my car has installed softer Fiesta parts or something. I don´t want to lower my car because I think I need the ground clearance as it is on standard Puma, not so good roads here.

Is there harder normal length spring available?

Positive thing in this case is that my local Ford garage does not want to make quick cash and sell me parts they are not sure will make any difference.

To measure your height you go from the middle of the wheel to the highest point of the visible gap in the arch, I believe standard is 375mm at the front and 385mm on the back but would advise you use the search to check that.
I guess you are not on standard tyres this time of year in Finland, this might be part of softness?

JonB said:
To measure your height you go from the middle of the wheel to the highest point of the visible gap in the arch, I believe standard is 375mm at the front and 385mm on the back but would advise you use the search to check that.
I guess you are not on standard tyres this time of year in Finland, this might be part of softness?

Yes,I have spiked winter tyres on propeller wheels now, but that does not explain the situation because i had the same problem with Toyo TR1´s also. I checked the ride height and it was close enough to those numbers. So, I think I have to get something stiffer than standard parts then.

My Puma has standard lower arm on the other side and Powerflex/FRP -bushed arm on the other side, but I dont think it has much to do with this situation, because numbers were almost equal.

May not affect the ride height but will probably affect the ride having different bushes in I'd have thought. Always best to change things in pairs whenever possible.

You wouldn't buy just one new shoe at a time for your feet would you....lol.

yippeekiay said:
May not affect the ride height but will probably affect the ride having different bushes in I'd have thought. Always best to change things in pairs whenever possible.

You wouldn't buy just one new shoe at a time for your feet would you....lol.

After christmas, next week, there will be two OE Ford Lower arms with Powerflex and FRP bushes. I have already booked a garage to do the replacement, but I´m afraid it would not cure this problem. Perhaps I have to buy a coil over set...

Got my Puma back from the garage today:

Cheap aftermarket passenger´s side wishbone was replaced with same kind of OE Ford/Powerflex/FRP wishbone as on the other side and after this they did wheel alignment. Before adjustment front axle total toe was -3,5 mm and left side was -3,6 mm and right side was +0,1 mm. After adjustment total was -1,6 and on both sides -0,8mm. On highways my Puma is like a different car now... It is easy to see that they really did something because steering wheel is not centered as it was before.

They also replaced a leaking gearbox/drive shaft seal. I did not dare to ask how much oil was left, but I have a feeling that gearbox works a little smoother now for some reason...

Back