So, now I've bought my Puma, what to do with it?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zinfandel

So I've just bought a Puma, and so far I'm very impressed. It handles like a bit of a dream. I only paid £600 and was fully expecting to have to spend a good amount extra to get it in shape. To be honest, I probably could have found one in similar condition on Ebay but well, I like this one and I'm happy to do the work, or rather get it done.

I'm pretty sure the cambelt has not been done. There's no service history on it for the last few years and never been done by Ford.

So here's a list of what I want to do with it. Anything else you can think of please do say!

1. Cambelt & Water pump.
2. Brakes and discs
3. Suspension, springs and bushes (I'm pretty sure these are all still original)
4. Full service
5. Back box is blowing. Advisory on last MOT so need to get that done.
6. Quoted £350 from a respected local body shop to "make it mint".
7. Aftermarket CD player.

So that's what I've got on my list! I would very much appreciate you thoughts.

Many thanks!

Ashley.

EDIT: Also, just to point out the fact that in the last 4 years the silencer has been mentioned several times and has not been done which is what, £40 for a back box and £60 at most to fit it? Probably tells you a bit about how the cars been looked after in the last few years! Not to worry, your new daddy will look after you <3

Welcome along.
As for what to get done I would say the basics are already covered. Anything else is up to you and how far you want to go with your new purchase.
Nothing is cheap these days but glad you are happy with your new Puma and it sounds like you want to keep it looking and driving well.
Post up some pics when you can.

trueblue said:
Welcome along.
As for what to get done I would say the basics are already covered. Anything else is up to you and how far you want to go with your new purchase.
Nothing is cheap these days but glad you are happy with your new Puma and it sounds like you want to keep it looking and driving well.
Post up some pics when you can.

Good to hear! Cheers.

I do also need a wheel nut cover thingy for one of the wheels! Any idea where I can get one of those?

Unless it's been changed very recently, I would replace the HCV (Heater Control Valve) with a new Ford item. They are prone to sudden failure, either heat-wise, or the plastic pipes fracture and dump all the coolant.
Renew the coolant and brake fluid.

YOG, I'll add it to the list, thanks!

And oilburner that would be superb if you do! I'd of course be happy to pay you for it and postage.

Welcome to ProjP :eek:k:

Looks like you've got the main areas covered! Heres to a happy ownership! :thumbs:

Thanks very much!

Quick question, I've seen a full set of powerflex bushes for the Puma for £160. good deal??

Zinfandel said:
Thanks very much!

Quick question, I've seen a full set of powerflex bushes for the Puma for £160. good deal??
What bushes are in the set?

FloFlex polyurethane bushes, set containing bushes for:
Wishbone front
Wishbone rear
Anti roll bar
Rear beam
All for under £80 delivered

XIIVVX said:
Excuse me.

You have missed out the most important "What to do with it?"

DRIVE!!!!

Haha don't worry, I've put 160 miles on her since yesterday afternoon :D.

SENATEpumA said:
Zinfandel said:
Thanks very much!

What bushes are in the set?

FloFlex polyurethane bushes, set containing bushes for:
Wishbone front
Wishbone rear
Anti roll bar
Rear beam
All for under £80 delivered

Is that something you're selling? I'm very interested if so.

SENATEpumA said:
Nope, you can buy them brand new:

Ford-Puma-Front-Wishbone-Anti-Roll-Bar-Bushes-Rear-Beam-Mounts-Poly

Just under £87. Sorry, my mistake. I thought they did free delivervey. Still goot price though!

Awesome! Thank you very much for that.

So then, would the following be worth doing? I know they're cheap components but like I say, I'm pretty sure most of it is original!
Rear shocks

Front Shocks

Springs

And the bushes you suggested.

So about £240 for the parts plus I guess another similar amount to get them fitted!

What do you think?

I've no experience with buying shocks, so I won't comment on them.

As for springs, what about these babies:

40mm lowering springs

Should work out to around £50 as you pay VAT + VAT for the delivery on top.

Another member has bought them, but I have no idea if they have driven on them as they are currently restoring their Puma...

Latest posts

Back