So the tank is not split then!!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinc2000

finally got round to putting "buttercup" up on my ramps today, as you can see I had a wee helper.
thumbnail_fixing%20buttercup%20001_zpscpji0zis.jpg

thumbnail_fixing%20buttercup%20002_zps4fy6rris.jpg

Puzzled face is because the tank looks ok :?

But then we found this
STA60597_zpsgvxmaqup.jpg

And this
STA60596_zps67auzz2a.jpg

So, problem is now how can I reseal a pipe of some sort into that hole to allow me to put the car back on the road this year, plan now is temporary fix then change tank during the winter, as it is only the breather pipe I am thinking along the lines of a rubber tube tightly sealed into the hole and connected up to the existing breathe hose up to the filler, any ideas guys?
Is there a sealant which would hold any tube in place and be fuel resistant?
Obviously I will not be filling the tank as far as this hole but need to keep any fumes in and prevent any spillage.

Looks like a bit of a job :cry: !!. Have you got a local motor factors near you? They should sell pipe joiners in a blue plastic from a company called DL products. I would get one the nearest size and use J.B weld or Quick steel to seal it in place. Dont bother with any gasket type sealer as none of it is fuel resistant. The fumes will destroy it in no time at all. I work at a A1 motor factors and we sell the pipes and jb/quicksteel if you have one near you they should stock it to. Also make sure its clean before you use the JB/quicksteel.

Just another thought you could JB/quicksteel the broken/rusted peice back on if you still have it!!!

Hi Zinc
As it's a potential fire hazard if I was you I would bite the bullet now and buy a new petrol tank as any repairs are going to be subject to all sorts of problems. The movement of the petrol in the tank, pressure differences, the ethanol in the petrol which destroys most epoxy resins, it's just not worth the risk.
Barry

Thanks guys, have a pipe which is a very tight fit in the hole ( so tight that I will have to force it in) so will look at that plus the quicksteel stuff, see what happens, good thing is that the edge of the hole in the tank has quite a good flat surface of around 3/8 of an inch which should allow a good seal.

I appreciate that there is a potential fire hazard with any escaping fumes but I reckon so long as I can get a really tight seal it should be ok, if I am not 100% certain I have a good seal then yes the new tank will be the way to go, but it would be good to get a bit more use out of it this year if possible first.

Hi Zinc
I hope this link works so you can have a look at this. I've looked at length at this subject as I have to repair my Aprilias plastic petrol tank because of Ethanol damage. Unless it specifically says Ethanol proof on the side of the resin you use you are wasting your time. There are lots of threads on this on the internet but this one was the quickest I found.
Barry

http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/201296-is-there-epoxy-or-other-glue-that-is-ethanol-proof.html

Could use the Petro Patch tank repair.Or there is a product called Por 15 tank sealer, which you pour into the tank and swizzel it around and it coats the inside.

Thanks for link Barry, difference in my case is that I have a hole in which to actually fit a pipe into rather than trying to seal a hole.
i have a plastic pipe which with a bit of force will fit so plan on getting this at least an inch into the tank then seal around it and reconnect the rubber breather pipe, hopefully should be job done, hardest bit is forcing the pipe into the hole as I cannot get straight access to it (the picture lies!! ).
Costing me nothing though so has to be worth a shot.
Love "dazzlers" idea of swizerling the tank around, now if I can just get the car above my head...... :grin:

Back