SORN'd Puma, what to do when starting it up?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob987_0

Hello all, hope someone can help!
My Puma has been off the road since October 2014 and only started a couple of times last year. I am moving house in a few weeks so I'll need to move it. It was serviced just before I took it off the road and it has plenty petrol in the tank. Is there anything in particular I should do before starting up the engine?

Hi Rob
Drain out all the petrol in the tank and put some new in. Modern petrol is rubbish at keeping, you'll find it really difficult to start with that in.
Barry

Agree with Barry there, that petrol will be awful. Fuel loses octane when it's left sitting around (bad enough at the petrol station in their tanks). And the less octane there is, the more chance of the engine running lean.

Ben

Also and this what I do, disconnect the coil pack and spin it over a few times, this prevents it starting but moves some oil around the engine first to prevent damage to what could be a very dry engine

zinc2000 said:
[post]351069[/post] Also and this what I do, disconnect the coil pack and spin it over a few times, this prevents it starting but moves some oil around the engine first to prevent damage to what could be a very dry engine

Agree, or disconnect the injectors to stop fuel spraying while it won't start. Definitely a good idea to 'prime' the engine of oil first.

Thanks guys I'll get a syphon pump off ebay.

So after disconnecting the coil pack should I just fully turn the key to turn the engine over a few times?

You don't need to disconnect the coil pack of you disconnect injectors (can also just unplug the fuel cut off switch in the passenger footwell). Then crank the engine for 15-20 seconds a couple of times to let the oil pressure to build a little. Much easier when you've got a fast responding oil gauge because you can see it rising.

Latest posts

Back