Spacing wheels

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dwighet

im thinking of spacing out my wheels...
Can I go 15mm front and 20 at the rear or does it need to be the same for front and back...

Thanks

The rear track is narrower than the front. Most of us put spacers on the rear only which then makes the rear the same width as the front.
I can't see how you spacing the front and back differently would be any different to us fitting spacers on the rear only.

CherryVimto said:
The rear track is narrower than the front. Most of us put spacers on the rear only which then makes the rear the same width as the front.
I can't see how you spacing the front and back differently would be any different to us fitting spacers on the rear only.
I see... The fronts look ok with the 205/45/16 with a 37 offset just the rear looks out of place..

What would be the best way to measure to get the right spacing for a snug fit under the arches???

Use a different offset wheel or....

Remove a wheel but sit it on the ground so the outer edge is where you think it would look good. Measure from the drum to the back of the wheel.
If it's about 20mm you can fit beam spacers which fit on the beams but behind the drums. You could go to 30mm spacers but there may be extra stress on the rear beam, but I don't think that's 100% confirmed.
When you fit spacers there is the extra issue of getting the ABS sensors to fit and you will probably destroy the old ones getting them out.

I had 38 offset wheels fitted with 205/40/16 tyres with 20mm beam spacers fitted behind the drums:

image_zpsaf36e08b.jpg

image_zps0781f2d8.jpg

CherryVimto said:
Use a different offset wheel or....

Remove a wheel but sit it on the ground so the outer edge is where you think it would look good. Measure from the drum to the back of the wheel.
If it's about 20mm you can fit beam spacers which fit on the beams but behind the drums. You could go to 30mm spacers but there may be extra stress on the rear beam, but I don't think that's 100% confirmed.
When you fit spacers there is the extra issue of getting the ABS sensors to fit and you will probably destroy the old ones getting them out.

I had 38 offset wheels fitted with 205/40/16 tyres with 20mm beam spacers fitted behind the drums:

image_zpsaf36e08b.jpg

image_zps0781f2d8.jpg
very good sir.
I like the way your rear sits... :oops:
Ive had the abs sensors out a month ago whilst changing out rear bushes with no bother...

Or are you saying the extra width will cause a problem with the sensor???
Also mine is an old 98 model with 10mm spacers fitted factory.... Would it be a good idea to remove the factory ones as there a bit rusty and say go 30 mm...

Thanks for your advice by the way.

Just keep in mind that even thoug spacing might improve the look of the car, it may also more then likely ruin the handeling.

The rears are narower than the fronts for handeling purpouses, and the suspension is set up to use the offset the car left the factory With, when you start spacimg out past the factory specs, you wil move the geometry of the suspension, and that usualy meens worse handelimg, ok for running to the shops, but not so much for having funn on windy b roads, and such...

Just my 2 cents :)

My first Puma was a '98 which I fitted spacers to. I removed the old ones and fitted 30mm.
Don't leave the old ones on if you use wider spacers.

I don't 100% agree with Cartman....
When I fitted the spacers it handled great. Even better with wider & softer tyres and even more when I fitted the coilovers!
It can't handle badly if most of us fit spacers and (wider) rear disc conversions...?

But I agree with Cartman saying it's changes geometry etc.

Because the way the ABS sensors are angled, one side won't fit in the spacer as it angles the wrong way.
It is possible to get it in with a little imagination.

You are right CherryVimto, spacing doesn't always ruin the handeling :) but he needs the right combination of wheels, and spacers :)

Back