Speed limit could reach 80mph?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
The UK Transport Secretary, Philip Hammond, has proposed to increase the speed limit on UK motorways from 70- to 80mph.

The idea behind the change is to reduce journey times, as the Government believes that the economy could be improved if motorists spend less time behind the wheel.

Mr. Hammond said that safety might not be the only factor to consider when it comes to judging how fast cars travel on the roads. ...
The UK's 70mph motorway speed limit was introduced in 1965, following a series of reports of manufacturers and car owners testing high performance cars to their limits.

There were 132 deaths on UK motorways in 2009, which is the last year for which figures are available. However, motorists are more likely to experience an accident on town and country roads with lower speed limits, poorer visibility, less space and no division between oncoming traffic.

http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/28022011/36/speed-limit-reach-80mph-0.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About time but I'll hold my breathe until it actually happens.

46 years ago that limit was put in place and we're still stuck with it after 46 years of new technology put into cars. They have an 81mph limit in most of Europe which I think is a more sensible cruising speed for todays vehicles.

70mph really is too low despite me hardly going over it myself. I know it's only 10mph more but 80mph to me is just about right as it's less boring and needs a little more alertness which I think is better for all users of the roads than people being in a trance, although an option for 100mph after 10pm that was bandied around a few years ago would be even better.

As expat says, all down to the worry mongers who I'm guessing will say they have NEVER done over 70mph in their lives!!...yeah, righto!!!

Also like the continent, why can't they restrict lorry overtaking on certain stretches and certain times as that really is a good thing they have which would help traffic flow considerably in this country on the dual carraigeway sections.!!

yippeekiay said:
Also like the continent, why can't they restrict lorry overtaking on certain stretches and certain times as that really is a good thing they have which would help traffic flow considerably in this country on the dual carraigeway sections.!!

They have started to do this, there is a hill on A34 where they ban lorry overtaking, and also saw one somewhere near martins on the weekend.

they have done it on a 1.5 mile stretch of the a14,but surprise surprise some drivers cant read signs so they still use the outside lane :twisted:

Im not sure raising the limit will help in all fairness people generally drive between 10mph over or under the limit unless you drive a BMW, Audi, or VW Passat in which case you drive 120mph all i can see happening if the limit is raised from 70 to 80 is that people will drive between 70 & 90mph also i would have a slight worry that a lot of cars will be going 85mph when lorrys are still going 59mph so i dont think the limit should legally change but i do think police should be advised to use more discression whilst patrolling the motorway i.e.not pulling me over for going 75mph on a totally clear motorway at 9pm ha

Planetslick said:
pulling me over for going 75mph on a totally clear motorway at 9pm ha

you got pulled over for going 75? That sucks big time, very harsh :(

Planetslick said:
Im not sure raising the limit will help in all fairness people generally drive between 10mph over or under the limit unless you drive a BMW, Audi, or VW Passat in which case you drive 120mph all i can see happening if the limit is raised from 70 to 80 is that people will drive between 70 & 90mph also i would have a slight worry that a lot of cars will be going 85mph when lorrys are still going 59mph so i dont think the limit should legally change but i do think police should be advised to use more discression whilst patrolling the motorway i.e.not pulling me over for going 75mph on a totally clear motorway at 9pm ha

But you might hit the kids playing on the motorway at that time of night! FOR SHAME!

yeah i did basically copper said and i quote "didnt like the look of you" but justified pulling me over due to excessive speed but let me off with a warning haha

I hate micra drivers living about 5/10miles from where there made where full of the damn things around here and they all insist on drving 20mph under the speed limit no matter what it is grrrrr :zzz:

haha my mum was a micra driver, a slow one. Till somoeone came round the corner and rammed it when it was parked!

makes me laugh coz now shes a slow fiesta driver lol.

Planetslick said:
I hate micra drivers living about 5/10miles from where there made where full of the damn things around here and they all insist on drving 20mph under the speed limit no matter what it is grrrrr :zzz:

Same here ..... maybe they have a factory fitted limiter as they never seem to top 40 mph :-D

More than likely. Every HGV I've ever driven is limited to around 56mph. Aside from work Bedford 4 tonners, which are limited by their rubbishness to around 40mph :lol:

80mph would be good idea.

it also needs other rules to help speed traffic flow such as lorry overtaking bans on 2 lane roads in rush hours. Also a review of tachograph rules and more aggressive checks are needed. that way there will be less tendancy for truckers to need to push the limit all the time to ensure they get a break or meet rediculous targets that some companies ask of their drivers.

Other things should include more aggressive policing of tailgaters, people who change lane without indicating etc. Many a phantom que is caused not by too much traffic but by poor drivers.

thing is it would need more traffic cops especially undercover ones or more powers to the wombles to record and prosecute minor offenders. Sadly the revenue from such fines will always be less than the cost of prosecuting.

Shame our society has gone down the route where justice and law enforcement is only done in many cases for minor offences where a profit can be made.......

think about it, an already paid for transit van, a cop for a day and between 10 and 20 speeders an hour its easy to see how when 99% of people cough up on the FPN that its an easy money maker.

whereas prosecuting a tailgater or a middle lane moron requires a cop car on the scene at the time of the offence (unlikely - most idiots shockingly know what they are doing wrong but are too impatient/selfish to care but arent stupid enough to do it when they see the cops), video evidence, far more likely to end up in a magistrates with a careless/dangerous driving charge costing a lot of time in police admin, court admin, police time in both paperwork by officer and attendance at court, not to mention costs of appearing in court and all the staff costs there are. And even then not a garunteed conviction.

so real justice for the drivers that cause the most delays, annoyance and danger costs far more than the easy targets.

Back