Nurburg Trip - TRAVEL arrangments

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spike.

Leaving on the morning of Saturday 11th June and returning the evening of Tuesday 14th July

As you'll no doubt be aware, there are a few different ways to cross the channel. A few different ferry companies with different ports and the train of course.

I'm going to book a ferry, going from Dover to Dunkirk on Norfolkline.

http://www.norfolkline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll be booking the 8am out on the 11th and the 18.01 back on the 14th. This comes to about £69 all in which isn't too bad. A nice relaxed sailing with time for a good breakfast.

We'll then meet up with anyone else that comes via other methods somewhere to be determined (probably on the A10/E40) for a convoy through France, Belgium and Germany to the ring.

Post up in this thread if you intend to / have booked a ferry / train with times so we can get an idea of who will be where and where to meet up.

(This thread isn't intended to make you travel a certain route etc, but gives information on how it can be done to help. For example, a ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge could be a better option for people in the north of England or Scotland)

Travellers:

1. Spike - N'Line Ferry - Out 11/6/11 Dover 8.00am -Dunkirk - Return 14/5/11 Dunkirk 18.01 - Dover BOOKED
2. AndyW - N'Line Ferry - Out 11/6/11 Dover 8.00am -Dunkirk - Return 14/5/11 Dunkirk 18.01 - Dover BOOKED
3. Ant - N'Line Ferry - Out 11/6/11 Dover 8.00am -Dunkirk - Return 14/5/11 Dunkirk 18.01 - Dover BOOKED
4. Chris and Shaz - N'Line Ferry - Out 11/6/11 Dover 8.00am -Dunkirk - Return 14/5/11 Dunkirk 18.01 - Dover BOOKED
5. Yipeeiyay - N'Line Ferry - Out 11/6/11 Dover 8.00am -Dunkirk - Return 14/5/11 Dunkirk 18.01 - Dover BOOKED

NOTE:

* Norfolkline does not issue tickets - proceed directly to check-in with your reference number
* If your vehicle does not conform to the category booked, surcharges may apply

Crossing checklist

* You must be checked-in 45 minutes prior to departure. Please allow additional time to pass through Customs and Immigration
* You will be asked to show a valid passport or valid photographic EU national identity card.
* First Class vouchers are issued at check-in
* Norfolkline sails from the Eastern Docks at Dover [CT16 1JA] and the Car Ferry Port in Dunkerque (Port Ouest) [F-59279]

DRIVING INFO

Driving Tips & Information

Sourced from the AA

Documents you should take with you
- A valid full driving licence (not provisional), with paper counterpart if you have a photocard licence
- The original vehicle registration document (v5)
- Your motor insurance certificate, with European entitlement, you'll have to get this in addition to your standard certificate.
- Your passport
- Transport tickets (ferry/tunnel)

Vehicle requirements for France, Belgium, Germany

Equipment
You must make sure that your vehicle is correctly equipped as follows:

- GB sticker (UK registered vehicles displaying Euro-plates (circle of 12 stars above the national identifier on blue background) do not need a GB sticker)
- Warning triangle
- Reflective jacket/waistcoat (try your local builders/plumbers/hire center, about £6)
- Headlamp adjustment for driving on the right (see bottom of this post)
- Spare bulb kit (compulsory for France, recommended for Belgium)
http://www.ringautomotive.co.uk/product" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... p?prod=672
- First Aid kit (recommended for France & Germany)

France

Speed limits: Standard legal limits, which may be varied by signs, for private vehicles without trailers.
In built-up areas 31 mph (50 km/h)
outside built-up areas 55 mph (90 km/h)
urban motorways and dual carriageways separated by a central reservation - 68 mph (110 km/h)
motorways- 80mph (130 km/h)
Lower speed limits of 49 mph (80 km/h) outside built-up areas, 62mph (100 km/h) on dual carriageways and 68 mph (110 km/h) on motorways apply in wet weather and to visiting motorists who have held a driving licence for less than two years.
Additionally, speed limits are reduced on stretches of motorways in built up areas.
Minimum speed limit on motorways 49mph (80km/h).

REFLECTIVE JACKETS & WARNING TRIANGLES IN FRANCE
The French Road Safety Department has confirmed that:
From 1st October 2008 all drivers in France, including drivers of vehicles registered outside of France, must have one warning triangle and one reflective jacket in their vehicle.
This regulation will be enforced with on-the-spot fines of between €90 and €135.

Daytime Driving lights - Compulsory during daylight hours if the visibility is poor.

Special features: Warning triangle or hazard warning lights compulsory (recommended that a warning triangle always be carried). It is recommended that visitors equip their vehicle with a set of replacement bulbs. Snow chains must be fitted to vehicles using snow-covered roads in compliance with the relevant road sign. In built-up areas give way to traffic coming from the right.

Important Thinks to take / have:

Car & Travelling:

Ticket confirmation printout for train/ferry. Norfolkline just need the confirmation number you got in the email.

Hotel confirmation printout. I'll have the info though if you're staying at the Ringhaus

European breakdown cover If you currently have AA/RAC etc cover, it may only be a few extra pounds for the weekend.

Travel insurance Always a good idea though not essential of course.

Oil - If your car uses some : its extremely expensive in Germany. Taking your car on the track may use a bit remember if you're "enthusiastic".
Water - Or at least a container such as an empty 2L drink bottle. Handy for screen wash or coolant emergencies.
Spare bulb set. - Remember HB3 for main lights! Handy and compulsory in some countries we'll pass through
Locking wheel nut key - Know where yours is in the car if you have one.
Spare wheel - Make sure yours is ok to be used if necessary. (Or canister of tyre weld if FRP)
Crash helmet - Not compulsory but maybe worthwhile on the Nurburgring.

Tools A simple toolkit maybe worthwhile such as Torx driver, screwdrivers, pliers etc. Never know when you might need something.
Ensure you have the correct tools to change your wheel.
Insulation / Duct tape. For keeping things still where they’re wobbly.
WD40 For freeing things up when they’re stuck.
Cable ties & Jubilee clips. Handy for keeping pipes still where they’re wobbly
Tow rope Just in case
Fire extinguisher just in case.

Other:

Money Don't rely on one thing - take a mixture of cash, travellers cheques and credit / debit cards. Euros remember, not old DM or Francs you find at the back of the drawer! Lol Might need some for tolls en route I can't remember.

Camera / Camcorder Make sure you have plenty of space on your memory card (or film) as you'll no doubt want memories of your trip! Remember that videoing from the car on the Nurburgring is forbidden. If the marshals see one as you go on track, you'll be stopped and asked to remove it.

European mains adaptor For your camera/phone charger etc

Mobile phone number list If people can PM me their mobile numbers,i'll collate a list and print it & email it for everyone. Useful if people get lost etc. (Remember to check that you have international roaming for your phone - your mobile phone company will be able to set this up for you)

Clothing Whilst it can be very hot in summer, the Nurburgring is up in the Eifel mountains so the weather can be changeable very quickly.

Sun tan lotion If you burn easily.

Check your car before you leave for the trip:

http://www.rospa.com/RoadSafety/advice/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... _drive.htm

Safety checklist:
Brakes
Lights
Tyres (wear and pressures)
Steering
Suspension
Screen washers and wipers

Avoiding breakdowns. It will also pay to check those things which most often cause breakdowns:
¢oil
coolant
drive belts
Ignition system
sufficient fuel

NURBURG INFO

http://www.projectpuma.com/pubfiles/Nurburgringdrivingguide.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

insurance - clcik here

Some good websites for general and essential information:

http://bridgetogantry.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.northloop.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nurburgring.org.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.nuerburgring.de" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm taking the same route in April and will probably tag along on the same route as above but I'm going to have a quick check of the Hull-Zebrugge one as it never occured to me to see if it's a better solution. I don't mind the driving to Dover either way.

By the way Ross, your saying your returning a month earlier than your leaving, hope your actual booking isn't the same....lol.

...and screw going from Hull...£232 return!!!

Yes please!!! ^^^

Belgium is the most boring country to drive through, and around Brussels it's manic!

they have an offer on, book by 6th march

http://www.norfolkline.com/ferry/GetQuote.aspx?email=uk_ddfeb11_heboffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£68, just booked

Haha...a pound cheaper than your initial cost - a man after my own heart :eek:k:

I went through Quidco for my April trip and got back £3.36 iirc which has already been validated. That was for a £48 cost so might be worth a WHOLE fiver for a £68 cost.

Every penny counts I say ;)

I'll second that. The prices are way higher than last year plus there's the added surcharge which I can't remember being on last year.

Just checked, no surcharge visible on last years but I noticed we'd paid £48 in 2009 on the last PP trip and I only paid £29 last year. I paid £48 for this April so it seems to be swings and roundabouts with price. All about timing I think.

I've just booked the same ferry Ross :eek:k:

Cost me £70 - paid by PayPal :?

Have sent the link to Ant and Chris aswell - they'll be booking the same one. Will let you know when they've paid so you can update accordingly.

Cant wait to see the photos, will you post some up when you get back?

Simon

IMPORTANT

we will meet at 6.30am for departure to the ferry for 6.45-7am.

meet point is Point A (ferry terminal is point B)
MAP LINK

Bp Oil Uk Ltd
Petrol Service Stations
Limekiln Street
Dover
CT17 9EF

Back