Speedo not working

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of you guys probably have heard of this problem before with speedo not working and millage not being read at all. But I wanted to add in my situation, when we found the plug connecting to the gearbox sensor. We tried to connect it back and it blew a fuse and the car couldn't start at all. For now we left the gearbox sensor unplugged and replaced the fuse but I was wondering what could've resulted in the blown fuse and if possible, is there anyone selling a brand new or at the very least a used gearbox sensor.

I think the Puma has the same gearbox casing and speedo setup as the Mk 1 Focus.
We had one of those and the Speedo packed up on that too. The garage didn't want to mess with the gearbox end if the speedo cable as they said it could get very brittle and they could not guarantee that it wouldn't shatter into bits in the gearbox if they tried to replace it.
It didn't blow any fuses however.
We never got it fixed but it never failed am MOT due to it.
You could tell what speed you were doing in it as the rev ranges were easy to remember. 30mph was 3000 in 3rd gear and 70 mph was 3000 in 5th. The Puma is different as 70mph is about 3300 in 5th gear.

I have just had a problem with the speedo and fuel system failing. After much diagnostic work it was traced to a set of connectors on the wiring loom that runs on the front of the engine, below the thermostat housing. Where the housing had leaked water had got in the connectors and corroded the pins. Have had the housing fixed and the connectors replaced with newer waterproof ones. Problems solved!

Back