Standard Puma 6000 Radio/CD (problem with radio reception

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DOH

Hi

my radio reception is fine, when I first switch it on. After a couple of minutes it loses reception almost completely.
I have checked the aerial connection at the back of the radio. I have also cleaned the earthing screw that attaches the aerial to the roof as it was slightly corroded.
Any suggestions of a fix for this problem? Has anyone else had the same problem?
I am of the view that as the radio warms up, something in the tuner signal circuit breaks down?
Are these radios known to have problems with the tuner breaking down?

Update
I found Yogs previous post 25 Jan 2011 post Re: Stereo (6000 CD) issues
1. Remove security panel and check both sets of contacts on panel and radio are clean. If necessary, gently bend radio contacts outwards to press harder against panel.
2. With radio switched on, pressing down buttons 3 and 6 simultaneously will self-check antenna, traffic announcement preset volume and volume control, each speaker circuit in turn and CD auto-changer circuit.( I wonder where he found that out?)

I've cleaned the contacts on the front panel with brasso ,wiped them clean refitted front panel and then held down butons 3 & 6 Simultaneously and there has been a big improvement. Fingers crossed it might even now be ok :grin:

Thought I would mention this as I guess many people may have thrown their original radio cd player because of this.

Ive had this issue woth the 6006 CD Changer, might be worth a go when I give the FRP a good going over next month for selling :eek:k:

Well Its going to be interesting to see how long my radio last before it loses it signal again.But there was a massive improvement after pressing buttons 3&6 together. I had also noticed recently that the time on the radio wouldn't update with RDS, but that works fine now also.Seems like a software crash problem. Computers........

So yes Zara , I hope you still have the radio code for your set , I reckon there's a v goood chance it will work. Like the Mini Cooper by the way.

Radio is intermitently playing up now , so it's time for a good standard replacement with adapter plate and wiring harness adapter

I had the same problem with the 7000 multi CD radio. Turned out the FM receiver had conked out so I had that replaced and it was fine thereafter. When yours is playing up again on FM try the CD and an AM station and if they are OK, it'll be your FM receiver, The radio boffin I consulted has had a few of them in with the same fault

Back