Stereo Facia

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pyklet

Once upon a blue moon, long time, Before time began etc.

My Puma would have had a large Ford type stereo in it. However since I've owned it its had my trusty Sony MP3 head unit installed.

The car came with a black plastic apperture reducer, to accomadate the standard head unit. But this continually falls out now, not only after bumpy ground but even under hard acceleration !!!!

Is there a little secret or something I'm missing as I really don't want to have to modify it with the aid of large screws or BOLTS in the dashboard. (joke)

I had that... damn annoying isn't it!

The way I stopped it was to put the heavy duty velcro between the facia plate and the car dashboard. Leave it 15 mins for the glue to go off before joining them together.

Hasn't moved since. Also made sure you support the underside of the new unit in the dash, or else it will constantly try and push the bottom outwad with the weight at the back.

There should be a screw on the back of the stereo in which you fix a clip which then sits on the rails/runners inside the dash. This takes the weight of the unit and stops it 'popping' out!

red, your right on about the screw. should fit onto the Y shaped clip that sits on the rails.

I've never had a problem with my Sony head units falling out, so long as you bend in enough of the securing tabs on the radio cage it's as solid as a rock.

That's the main problem with the facia adapters - especially the one's from Halfords. In my opinion, they look crap (the colour match is rubbish), and they aren't particulary secure. My standard stereo is fine for now ta!

My facia adapter is fine, never had a problem with it. One thing i will say is the colour underneath the stereo is faded where my hand rubbing it has worn the paint away.

Back