Strange cooling problem car never heating up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ally frp

Car regardless of length of journey will never heat up with the temperature gauge at bang on the middle. The temperature on the gauge will sit just slightly offset to the left(the cooler side) rather than straight up and down the middle on temperature clocks.

As a result the expansion tank will always remain cool as if the coolant has not cycled the engine.

Had bought a brand new genuine thermostat from Ford and it done the same. Got a replacement thermostat again from Ford and again performed the same so that rules out the thermostat. This would have been the obvious answer as if the thermostat was opening too soon.

I have ran the car on a full journey with heater on hot(opening system up to include heater matrix) and with heater on cold as I suspected i could have had a possible blockage in matrix. Again made no difference.

I replaced radiator yesterday as it was original with car at 14years old and had a new one as a spare. Again never made any difference. So no possible blockage in radiator. While the coolant was out yesterday I checked HCV to see if there was a blockage in the flow through area when it is in the closed position. Again nothing.

Quite strange to me as I have never experienced such a problem.

If the water pump was faulty surely it would be more likely to overheat that run cooler(water pump is genuine Ford 1yr old)

I don't want to cause any problems engine so would rather get sorted asap as I am worried on taking it out on long journeys.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Ally

Temperature sensor?
Pressure cap?
What temperature does it show on the dash diagnostics?

I've replaced the CTS as I was showing a fault about 4weeks ago. Ill check the diagnostics(i have analogue dash). I had suggested the coolant cap to a mechanic and he just laughed so I just disregarded it being a plausible cause. I assume that on a pressure system it has to be airtight in order for the coolant to move sufficiently around the system or the performance of the water pump is therefore comprehended?

Thanks again in advance.

Ally

martinthrapston said:
is the thermostat put in the right way around,not done 1 on the puma so dont know if can only be fitted 1 way

The thermostat can only be fitted one way as the thermostat housing would not fit on other wise. It was fitted the correct way up as well with the bleeder valve at the upper most point.

Thanks

Ally

Mine does exactly the same on the gauge, but the fuel economy is spot on (high 30's to low 40's) and other than what's shown on the dash, everything checks out. I'm starting to think that it's the gauge that's telling porkie pies rather than anything else.

the water in the expansion bottle is cold though so I know water isnt circulating

Cheers

Ally

Have you run it with the expansion cap off for a bit and given all the pipes a good squeeze at the same time? That always worked a treat getting air out of the system with my old car. Either that or, for the price of a new expansion cap and regardless of what the mechanic said, it's possibly worth it to rule it out.

Yes I know its not an airlock. Cap off, cap on pipes off, pumped pipes etc

You took the words out my mouth...... just ordered a new genuine one on Ebay for £7.30 delivered so if anything rules another possibility out.

Thanks again

Ally

This is strange, please correct my if im getting this wrong, but your issue is that the temperature guage needle does not sit vertical but is off to the left towards the cooler side?

If this is the case... mine is the same. It sits between the N and the O and has always been like that.

Just now it generally sits between the O and the R. But always used to sit bang on middle and coolant bottle would be warm indicating it is indeed circulating.

Funnily enough when driving sometime my car gets cooler lol

Every Ford I have ever own sits bang in the middle.

Cheers

Ally

Personally i don't think there's an issue. I've had periods when my engine really has over heated with steam billowing from the bonnet and the guage has indicated so accordingly... but still its sits between the N&O on normal working running.

Fords have personality... they have moods too... my fan doesnt work and hasnt for two yeahs, but ive got a big old hole in the top of my bonnet which also aids in cooling...

I reckon your car is safe from destruction.

Anyone know of safe or working/typical coolant temperature of the 1.7 Puma? I can check through the CTS and see what temps it is putting out on my diagnostic tool and see if it is normal.

Cheers

Ally

Pretty sure the thermostat is to open at 82degrees but does that mean that the coolant in the car is constantly operated around this number? The coolant I noticed yesterday on my car was 196degrees thru the diagnostic tool I have.

Cheers

Ally

Diagnostic tool set on Fahrenheit?
91 Centigrade is approx. 196 Fahrenheit

YOG said:
Diagnostic tool set on Fahrenheit?
91 Centigrade is approx. 196 Fahrenheit

Good thinking.

I very much hope so. As I feel like i'm waiting on engine to melt......

Back