Strange thumping noise?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

w207

:? Hi, does anyone know what this is? There is a quiet steady "thumping" noise coming from it sounds like just below and beyond the steering wheel. You can only hear it when sat in the front seat and the engine is idling and it sounds like a heart beating at a steady rate....I've tried to find it but am at a loss. It seems to be more obvious after hard acceleration but soon settles down to a steady beating again. I have a slight mis fire at the moment and was wondering if there might be some connection either way I would like to know what this sound is as it only started approx one month ago. Does anyone else have this sound? Thanks!!

Sorry, haven't got anything of decent enough quality to do this and be able to pick up the sound but it really does sound like as if you are listening to a human heart beat but more thud sounding but the same rythm and about the same timing. If you feel your pulse thud thud and then leave approx 3 seconds and then thud thud and so on that's probably as best I can do. I thought it may be something to do with my power steering pump maybe as I had to top the level up a few weeks back or something like that but I don't know enough about these things :oops: I'm just wondering if it's and early sign of somekind of failure or a weakness in one of the parts?

I think even with a video it could be hard to say and without one you could just end up with a big list with people speculating about what it might be which wouldnt help and could just worry you.

So your saying it isnt constant? that theres a thumping then a rest for a few seconds then it starts again?

Or is it in relation to engine speed i.e does it speed up as the revs increase?

Did you notice a leak prior to having to top up the power steering?
Did you have this noise prior to topping up the reservoir?
What did you top it up with?

I know exactly what you're talking about it; mine's started doing it recently too. Anyone I've spoken to about it thinks I'm mental and making it up, but I know it's there. I also came to the conclusion it was probably to do with something driven by the auxiliary belt - a pulley or pump is probably in need of replacement. My aircon is working fine, so I also thought it might be the PAS pump.

No idea what it is - I'll be taking her to Richard at Tremona Garage at the weekend to investigate, so if I find out what it is, I'll let you know.

Aux belt diagrams available here.

As above, I'd almost certainly say it's one of your pumps on the way out.

Thanks for you replies, the noise is there whether It is idling or if I rev it and the noise started before I topped the power steering up I also used the proper Ford fluid to do this. I know it sounds vague but it would appear that evilrob has the same sound. I tend to agree with the pump failure idea or at least maybe a weak pump but which one? can't tell but I would be very happy to know as I would rather replace sooner rather than later, if evilrob finds out can you please let me know or anyone else of course :| I will continue to find it but as yet I have had no luck. Today the sound does seem to be slightly louder so maybe whatever it is will become more obvious, sometimes with these kind of problem you just have to wait until it shows itself. Anyway I will keep looking but any help is very much appreciated!

You could try taking the cap off the power steering reservoir starting the engine and turning the steering wheel from full lock to full lock repeatedly to clear any possible airlock in the system. Might not work but wont cost anything.

Hi

I had a noise coming from the same area and found it was the heater control valve. I thought it may be something bad but if you pop the bonnet and put you head at the back of the engine bay and hear the noise I bet you have the same issue. Its just below the windscreen behind the firewall cover.

Hummmm.......that's interesting, I had to replace the heater control valve not so long ago, I wonder if air go into the system before as the noise wasn't there before and when I replaced the valve it was leaking and had split open so do I have air in the system still? Anyone know how to bleed the system?

Run the car at idle on your drive with the water header tank cap off and the heater dial (not ther blower dial) set to full hot for 20 minutes,look for the level in the tank dropping and refill it to the level if it does.when hot gently squeeze the water pipes to encourage any air out.

Also did you replace the heater control valve with a Ford item? as cheaper ebay ones are not thought well of here.

I think I maybe getting to the bottom of this?........I noticed today this........I started the car and the heater setting was on cold and fan was set at 2 with no thumping noise. As I was driving I turned the temp setting up to just above half way, when I stopped the "thumping" noise was there!?..........Was it because I had run the car and it was now warm?....So I left my car for approx 4 hrs and then started my return journey..........as I started the car the thumping sound was there straight away and then I turned the heater control dial to cold and almost straight away the thumping sound stopped. It must be as ck00743 hinted at and quest63 has suggested the solution to. I will try it in the next couple of days and let you know how I got on. It sounds like it could be air in the system after I changed the heater control valve but as I said it was there before but that's probably because the unit had split and had probably introduced air into the system anyway. Hopefully we have found the answer and I think that if I can get the air out of the system the thumping noise will stop...........fingers crossed as they say :? Thanks to everyone who has helped as always much appreciated!!!

Don't think it was a ford part as the hcv went on me suddenly and so had to get one from a parts dealer locally but they reckoned that they sold loads of them with no problems. It does seem to work fine and it fit spot on and looked good quality not the cheap plastic type I think there must be air in the system?

Back