Summer road tyre choices

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skippy

I know this has been done to death, and subject to personal choice but some suggestions would be appreciated.

Currently have Michelin Pilot Sport 3s on the front which are great. They were a good price when I got them but struggling to find them for anywhere near that now! On the back are 2 different ditch finders which I want to replace as they're showing themselves to be somewhat sketchy now that I've fettled the suspension back to what I hope is normal for a puma. I'm on OE 9 spoke 195 50 15" wheels.

It's unlikely to be going out in the wet. At some point I want to take it on a track for tuition rather than a track day.

So good summer tyres that aren't super pricey please. Something £50-60ish? Would it be worth swapping front to back if there's something better for the front?

Thanks in advance folks

I currently have the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, But recently they've introduced a new one called the Rainsport 3, Very well priced and good in wet and dry.

I've had my Uniroyal Rainsport's for one year now and never had problems with them, there are also a few other Puma owners here with Uniroyals, I'm on the stock propellor alloys (195/50/15'')

Just look up a few reviews :eek:k:

I bought my Toyo PX4s from ears.co.uk (currently at £39.74 each) and paid £10 each at a local garage for fitting, inc. valves and balancing.

For me it worked out a lot cheaper to buy decent tyres that way rather than directly from a garage. The last one I bought at a garage cost me just shy of £100!

http://ears.co.uk/

Cheers folks.

I wish I had a tamed garage that I trusted. I do have a tyre place that are very good. Plan was to get the new tyres and a full alignment now that I've finished tinkering.

Just in passing. Not on a Puma, but the new Dunlops Sport BluResponse are really good.

They are eco and increase your mpg noticeably, yet still have top ratings for noise and wet grip.

There is only one tyre you will ever need- Goodyear Effecientgrip.
Road holding is supreme, wear is supreme.

A Puma said:
I currently have the Uniroyal Rainsport 2's, But recently they've introduced a new one called the Rainsport 3, Very well priced and good in wet and dry.

I've had my Uniroyal Rainsport's for one year now and never had problems with them, there are also a few other Puma owners here with Uniroyals, I'm on the stock propellor alloys (195/50/15'')

Just look up a few reviews :eek:k:

Just changed those due to wear. Absolutely amazing grip in wet and dry :grin: did not expect that from such a cheap tire.
Now i have yokohama parada spec2 and they are better, but very soft compound (easy to wear out) and medium grip in wet, if not careful and push hard you will lose grip :grin:

I drove with Michelin PE2 (now Pilot sport 3) 4 years

incredible grip Under the rain ...
is very good for the road

but for track day or fast fast road , Toyo R1R is better

Uniroyal rainsport3 is a very good alternative to Michelin

Thanks again for all your suggestions. In the end I found the Michelins for a pound less than I paid before. Even just bringing it home it feels so utterly planted, and even a smidge quieter.

Time to go and put the right pressure in and re torque the nuts ;-)

Latest posts

Back