Suspension Set-up

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmer69

Wow - I start with one post and now I can't stop.

I want to upgrade my suspension, just for fast road use as I cover a lot of miles on potholed roads, so I don't want to go with anything too racy. My requirements are to improve the look of the car without negatively affecting the handling.

So far I am considering the Eibach 30mm lowering springs and 12.5mm spacers on the rear beam.

Is it worth replacing my shocks at the same time as the springs? Is this kit any good? Do the spacers make any difference and if they do what is the best size 10, 12.5 or the full blooded 20 mm?

Any other suggestions that won't break the bank or my back? :p

Cheers ppl, hopefully I will be able to start answering questions instead of asking them soon!

What year is your Puma?

I fitted new Eibachs, with new OE dampers in January and it was a marked improvement. Also replaced most of my bushes, which also helps a lot, in fact most, if not all of the "wear" components in my suspension have now been replaced.

If you have an earlier Puma, with a fork mounting on the rear damper, you already have a 10mm spacer.

Mine is a later car, I was running 20.5mm spacers without problem, it nicely improves the rear stance, but doesn't make much difference aside from that.

It's a 52 plate, I'll be doing the bushes as well, think I'm gonna go for shocks and the Eibachs.

Is it the 20.5's on the car just now and is it a big job? It's looking good whatever you've got on it at the mo.

Because I have rear discs, I couldn't stick with the 20.5's, so I had to change back to 12.5's, giving me the equiv of 26.5mm ish.

If there is anything I have learned from mine, it is stick with rubber in the rear beam, don't change the offset of the wheels, and if you get the FRP uprated front bushes, get them from Ford. In fact get whatever you can from Ford, and ask for some discount. There is a chap on zsoc.com who works for a Ford parts distibutor, he will generally give you 10% off, but you have shipping on top. FordpartsUK (google it) also do good prices, but neither can compare to the convenience of your local dealer. For consumables though (especially brakes, ABS parts, etc.) you are probably better going for a known manfacturer from a motor factor, typically the same part but not in a Ford box.

Because yours is hopefully a later built car, you shouldn't need new damper weights - the design changed just after mine was built, so the new struts had a slightly shorter threaded section, which was too short for my original damper weights.

I didn't fit the 20.5mm spacers, I had the garage do those. I believe the difficult bit is removing the ABS sensor, and getting the back plate of the drum off the beam, as there is a rivet there. There is a good "how to" on zsoc.com. I have since had them off a couple of times, to fit the disc conversion, then to change to 12.5mm, then again to remove the rear beam to fit new bushes. It isn't difficult, but getting the ABS sensors back in with the spacers in place is a bit fiddly, as everything is 20.5mm further away.

Fitting the spacers:

http://www.zippyracing.co.uk/index.php?pageid=Axle%20Spacers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I must have been doing it whilst you were posting!
The post in zsoc.com has the pics missing for some reason, so it might be worth people copying and pasting their own copy from the above link.

I noticed that ZippyRacing have some new items listed - Vibratechnics road and race engine/gearbox mounts and a Ford Racing Puma Clutch (3 piece) for £230.
http://www.zippyracing.co.uk/shop/catalog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers for the advice, much appreciated. Damper weights? I'm not familiar with these, could you expand please

Sweet as a nut mate, cheers for that, gonna get all this ordered when I head offshore so I'll have loads of goodies, and grazed knuckles, to look forward to when I get home!

Right folks, I've priced the Eibach springs and good OE shocks for around £300, if I'm gonna be spending this kind of money can I get a better set up?

For example I found a full Jamex setup, springs and shocks, for just under £200, 40 mm drop.

As I said before my priorities are not to sacrifice the car's perfect handling and I don't want too much extra discomfort but I want to improve the look of the car. What's the best compromise in your opinions people?

Thanks again

Only alternatives I would suggest would be either coilovers, or Eibach springs and Bilstein shocks, if I was doing it again, that is probably what I would go for.

If you cover lots of miles and pot holes I'd advise against touching suspension full stop. The novelty where's off IMO. Although the handling and looks improve, that only matters when the car is stationary or being driven hard. The rest of the time when your driving sensibly is a ball ache IMO.
I did 50000 miles last year and about 10000 so far this year lowered, and I could quite happily go back to standard.. Only thing that puts me off is the looks. Can't go back to looking like its on stilts
Other thing to consider is the stress it puts on other parts, tyres other suspension parts etc

Thought I'd let you know what your in for as mine is lowered and I cover lots of miles too :)

Cheers benking

Forgot that a lot of miles up here isn't a lot of mile down south! I do about 15,000 a year. I'm definitely going to lower the car but like I say nothing too severe. What are you running at the moment?

I've seen G-max 35 mm kits for around £200 and Spax for nearer £300

Just springs and shocks, they do the job. I didn't intend on getting shocks but MOT forced me lol but have to admit it was worth it, like driving a new car

I got mine from essex racing and the shocks are ford. Ive had no trouble at all with them. I couldnt justify the ford springs, as the cost nearly double, and are effectivley just a spring. But thats just my oppinion.

On reflection i wish id spent that little bit more and got a set of adjustables

Back