suspension

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumalee100

Hi
Wonder if anyone can help me
I have changed the rear subframe bushes,front control arms complete with ball joints etc
Anti roll bar links and and bushings
My problem is it I think the way it handles has got worse?
If on a motorway and theres a sweeping bend it feels terrible almost like its floating ??
Lack of feed back to the steering wheel and lost that drivers feel that it used to have?

I was thinking of doing the track rods over weekend and an alignment???
But I don't know how much this would help??

hi mate i would start with the tracking as they can make the car handle pretty bad if was set up on the worn out bushes and go from there :eek:k:

As above ^^^ Also did you remove the brackets for the axle at all when doing the bushes?

Yeah brackets were removed

Just cant put my finger on the way it handles now??
Just doesn't handle any where near the way it did
I have new tyres on it and before the work was done I could throw it into corners and it held so well
now I feel the back end kick out
And this floating feeling is so weird!

a pair of control arms are never identical, no matter how much we wish they were :) so your tracking is definetively off :)

unless there is some wear in your tie rod ends, a wheel alignment should fix your problem, as stated above :)

The refitting of the axle is supposed to be done in a certain way when the brackets have been removed or else the axle may not be lined up correctly.

Fit the brackets to the axle then tighten the 8 bolts to the body finger tight then drop it from the jack onto the floor this is supposed to line up the axle, then tighten the bolts. Your not supposed to tighten the 8 bolts while its jacked up.

If you look at your rear wheels now you may find one is further forward than the other one.

Thanks for the input guys appreciate it
Will do the tracking tomorrow and check the points you all made

Thank you :)

Just to add to that don't tighten up any of the metallistic bushes on the car until it's normally loaded otherwise you'll put too much shear on the rubbers (ie the rear beam and the front wishbones)
Barry

Latest posts

Back