Tablets

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty1.7

In the market for a tablet to replace my trusty pen and paper for work.

Ideally a ten inch screen, about £200, though I'm could go a little more.

Any thoughts?

Personally, I'd get a cheap Netbook with a proper keyboard.

Typing on any tablet is a frustrating experience! I hated the one I had but got my money back on it after 6 months.

If it has to be a sub £200 tablet, then the Google Nexus 7 is likely to be a decent bit of kit even if the screen is a bit small.

I've got a 32gb 1st Gen 10" WiFi iPad sitting in a drawer doing nothing, comes with pink pleather case/stand, original Apple charger and USB cable, original box / whatever came in the box. Belonged to the Mrs, never left the coffee table, perfect condition. Probably want £230 delivered for it.

I've also got a 16Gb 1st Gen 10" WiFi iPad sitting in a drawer doing nothing, comes with a metal case with built-in bluetooth keyboard (Zaggmate - cost £74 new), a neoprene case to keep the metal case in good nick (yes, I kept my iPad in a metal case, inside a neoprene case - I'm that anal; that said it is well travelled - I used to use it on the train, so while it's in very good condition, it doesn't look brand spanking new like the one that's never been anywhere. Despite my best efforts to keep it minty by double-bagging, it has two tiny dinks on the body and a scratch on the screen not visible unless you hold it at a certain angle, shining a light on it while it's off - ironically caused by fumbling while putting it in the metal case
Emoticon-Facepalm.gif
- sounds worse than it is), original Apple charger/USB cable.

I'd let that bundle go for £210 delivered as I've lost the box (though if it turns up I'll forward it on).

Upgraded to the 'New iPad' and never got round to putting the previous ones on eBay.

Save up a bit more and get an iPad. Granted, I do love Android, but on a tablet, Apple are miles ahead.

I do like the feel of the iPad, it's a well made piece of kit.

Samsung have some good offerings also.

It sounds like you're after something you can still physically write on rather than using a keyboard/pad?

Currys are punting out 64Gb Blackberry Playbooks for £129:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/blackberry-playbook-tablet-pc-64-gb-10647930-pdt.html?srcid=369

If all you need is email, web browsing (with Flash ability I believe) and music / videos, it might be a winner. As far as I'm aware, app support is very poor though. Build quality will smash any android tablet out there unless you get the very top end android tablets - but if you're going to spend enough to buy a top end android tablet you might as well buy an iPad.

i would buy a playbook from pc world. they have crashed in price massively. good tech on there aswell but tbh andriod or apple are ahead with apps and stuff

Pluses for the Playbook:
Brilliant screen
HD cameras front and back
USB socket
HDMI socket
Only took me two minutes to open one up if you need to change the battery ( about £7.50)
GPS
BLuetooth
Good sound through headphones
Pretty quick WiFi
Only £129 for 64Gb, 1Gb of RAM

Minuses
Poor (very) amount of apps etc compared to iPad
7 inch screen
Terrible after sales service, keep you on the phone for hours, then you have to send it back to Munchen Gladbach, then wait for them to say it's U.S because of something not covered by the guarantee

All in all, if you just want a tablet to play videos and music on get a Playbook, if you want to do anything business wise get an iPad (any model)

Basically, I want to take notes on it - either type or write.

Some Web browsing at home, some video watching, BBC Iplayer and You tube etc.

Rob, the Ipads sound interesting, any chance of sending me some pics etc?

I would of preferred a decent Android Pad as it would match my phone and I am used to using them.

If you really have to have a tablet, then an iPad is the only way to go (and Rob will vouch for my general dislike of Apple products) as Android, as much as I like it, is just no good for tablet use.

I would still personally go for a cheapy NetBook as typing with a proper keyboard will always be preferable. The battery life on them is 8 hours plus, they have huge hard drives, can run flash based sites (an iPad cannot), can happily run Microsoft Office, Photoshop etc, have proper USB ports making printing and sharing files easy.

The only problem is that marketing has told us that they're no longer fashionable...

I love my netbook.

The lady has a HP Touchpad originally running WebOS (what!? lol) now running Android 4.0 happily. I would say Android does work well for tablets tbh.

Scotty1.7 said:
Rob, the Ipads sound interesting, any chance of sending me some pics etc?
As you wish:

Sorry about the quality - only got my cameraphone handy... Couldn't find the 32-gigger - I'll take some bad photos of that as well if I can find it. It'll be in its box, in a box, in the cupboard somewhere. It looks brand new - never been out of its case or off the coffee table, but I doubt that will come across in smartphone photos.

iPad front:

Cloud2go%206%20Sep%202012%2020:10.jpg

iPad rear:

iPad model number:

Dinks:

Cloud2go%206%20Sep%202012%2002:02.jpg

Metal keyboard case front:

Cloud2go%206%20Sep%202012%2020:11.jpg

Metal keyboard case rear:

Neoprene case:

Scotty1.7 said:
Basically, I want to take notes on it - either type or write.
You can have the best of both worlds with the above! (and on budget)

Bish - its not just that, its the boot up time.

Its the boot up time.pads are up and ready to go almost instantly, net books aren't as such.

Also work policy doesn't allow any form of laptop - mini or full size unless provided by the business- so pad is my only other option

Rob looks very nice!!

Think I could be interested in that.
Let me have a mess with one and see if I can live with / use one and I'll let you know

Nah, decent one's you just leave on standby and they store whatever you're up to at the time in the memory. My old samsung took about 3 seconds to get going.

Still, if that's the company policy that's fair play. I just really love NetBooks that's all! :lol:

Scotty1.7 said:
Rob looks very nice!!

Think I could be interested in that.
Let me have a mess with one and see if I can live with / use one and I'll let you know
Cheers - I've found the 32-gigger. More bad photos below:

Box (in a box - looks brand new):

Y_NjCkUp3QkfaAGa5heQ32O1yOP0BXM8S6ghzR56BnQ

Lovely gay case (the black ribbed bit's purpose becomes clear below):

asHSmXRxAvAXqrTPubze8HApUT4MTpz7aI5CVIeqAr4

Case in 'stand' mode:

cIiXMIjOh2podXoPP0FVJL0-1saxgm4eWwevskNFIPU

32gb:

vhc68wjiryLbyWtA1ZO_BnxXQFISZBif1oYr2BBs8E8

iPad in case:

NZObnGmrXczl3goEs61ftXHEvFzql7gxqrfb-6wGU_c

There's no hurry - they're not advertised anywhere else, nor am I really pushing to sell them - you just mentioned you needed a tablet and I have two surplus to requirements here!

Back