Tail light disassmbly

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mihalyn90

hi folks,

one of my tail light is condensed, and the other one is full of dust... is it possible to disassemble the whole thing like this:
2FordPumaTaillight.jpg

Or even these are glued together and i need a new sealing for them after?

People bake their lights in the oven to break it apart, do not know at what temp. though.

I would also think that you need new seal/glue but maybe its possible to heat up the old seal/glue again and re-use it?

Mne if here to there is seal... that is bad... if broken apart, you can not cook it again... a new sealent is needed...

I've had a few sets of the rear lights apart like that when I made them in to LED sets and never got them to seal up again.

If you put too much sealer on them it squeezes through to inside the light and looks horrible. The edge isn't really big enough to get a decent amount of sealer on them. Not only does the sealer need to keep moisture out but it also needs to actually hold/bond the light back together.

From my experience, I'd suggest buying replacement light fittings.

You could try the "De-Tango" method to get inside the lights, if you want to clean them.
http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?p=16025#p16025" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise, Colin (BOK), sadly, no longer with us, used to swear by this product for sealing, without dismantling:
http://www.captaintolley.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Captain-Tolleys-Creeping-sealer-250ml/dp/B002EP4ROY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Well the left triple is full of condensation... the right one full of dust...

I'll have to search around for a pair, but now, as Christmas is coming... my money goes only for gas and gifts... unfortunately PumPum will not get anything this year... she got a headlight polish only... :(

Maybe I'll drill a hole to be able to wash it out... or as i saw, the orange lens is a clip in... maybe, water will flow through it and i'll dry it up somehow... hopefully... I'll see when i have time to disassemble my trunk... I'll keep you updated on my newbie area

If you plan on getting new lights in the future, and the current ones don't look good, why not just remove the clear plastic and use them without until you get new ones?

I actually like the look without the lenses.

Maybe that will be a go... i just need to be sure to be able to get two replacements... :)

i found online in romania only 1... right side :)) what do i do with the left? huh?

I'm thinking of doing something with mine as my near side condensates quite badly and leaves water marks on the bottom. Are they water proof without the lense on though or do they need a bit if sealing if I was to take the lenses off?

no they are not waterproof... the three lenses are just clip on.

If you have problem with condensation do as i did... smack two Ø5-8mm holes in the back... i put them on the side :) all fines... on hot days, after a wash it will get condensed of course... but in an hour or two... they are perfectly fine :)

I have already changed the offender when I first got the car but it has the same problem as the one I changed it for, maybe a seal or ive done the nuts up too tight?
I have another set that I salvaged and wanted to do something with, I might make a set without the lenses if I can waterproof them somehow and keep a set with lenses..

the three lenses, white orange and blue ar clipped on... if you remove the cover, and leave only the lenses you can pop them out, put on silicone, and put them back... voila they are sealed... but i kinda hate it how they look...

I have made a prototypes set without, sprayed them, sealed in the lenses and finished with chunky black rubbers. Their not perfect but they definitely look different, I prefer them to my spare set so will look into tidying them up a bit soon :)

has anyone considered using windscreen bonder glue to reseal the lights?? with the v shape nozzle??

Latest posts

Back