TalkTalk

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenF

Towards the end of last year there was a cyber attack on TalkTalk.

Is anyone a customer of theirs and has had problems with nuisance calls since then? If so, how have you dealt with them?

One of my neighbours is elderly and is being plagued by nuisance calls and doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with TalkTalk in trying to stop them. He is a member of the Telephone Preference Service.

Any ideas are welcome!

Hi Ben
I'm getting the same at the moment, last week I had a call, supposedly, off talktalk claiming my router had been hacked and they were wanting me to press keys on my keyboard which I declined to do but they had my account number. I've been trying to get hold of talktalk today but all I'm getting is the useless automated answering service. The only bit of success I've had is with the chat function where "Bryson" told me that the number I'd saved after the phone call was definitely not Talktalks. Whilst I've been trying to get hold of talktalk I've been called at least 5 times by the dodgy number. I keep trying to find a genuine talktalk number where I can talk to a human being, so far no luck but if I do find one I'll get back to you.
Barry

Thanks Barry. I had a call similar to yours but from someone claiming to be from BT, who also knew my account numbers (I use BT for my phone line and broadband) and who asked me to press certain computer key combinations. I declined! I think this scam is not related to the TalkTalk issues.

My neighbour is getting dozens of nuisance calls, and like you he cannot get to talk to someone who is not only in the UK but also knows what they are talking about or can do anything to help!

Good luck!

Hi Ben
If you go onto the talktalk website you can get instructions on how to block certain callers and I don't think talktalk charge for it.
Barry

BenF said:
[post]350887[/post] One of my neighbours is elderly and is being plagued by nuisance calls and doesn't seem to be getting anywhere with TalkTalk in trying to stop them. He is a member of the Telephone Preference Service.
I think in the short term the most effective action is just to leave the phone off the hook (it will still allow messages to be left) and to advise friends and family to call instead on your neighbour's mobile * and he can call them back on the landline or whatever.

I know this sounds like pretty feeble advice, but at least your neighbour will get a good night's sleep. Most of these nuisance calls come from outside the UK and thus outside the remit of the Telephone Preference Service. Some also change their phone numbers frequently, but blocking calls is usually effective and, when you find them, TalkTalk should be able to handle that..

First priority though is peace and quiet, no one should feel tormented in their own homes like this.

* incidentally, many mobiles (O2, etc) have a 'Block Caller' feature already by default.

The simplest by far is not to answer the calls full stop if you don't know the number.

If you do accidently answer it and it is a cold caller or scammer then make sure you save that number either on your phone or written down, so you know for next time, or block as previous poster says if you can.

I hardly ever answer my phone full stop. If it's important then they'll ring back is my policy.
If it's someone I know I'll text or ring them back.

If it's a number I don't know and it's important then chances are they'll also have the information to get in touch another way.

Lastly, if your curious to who is calling you then google the number, there's a fair chance it'll come up and you can find out if it's genuine or not.

Back