The MKII Megane...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red

Administrator
Staff member
I don't think the FRP will ever be replaced but here's there car I've picked up to ferry around in when it's too wet or too salty to use the new bike.

Before you say it.. yes I know it's French

In fact I've owned one once before (a 2001 model), the last car before I got into the world of Puma!

This is my 2003 Megane. It has 78k on the clock with not much history but some receipts for work done.

It's the Privilege model and comes with some nice features, all round electric windows, electric panoramic sunroof, electric mirrors with electric fold, key-less entry and start so you can leave the key in your pocket walk up to it and open it etc. 16" alloy wheels in reasonable condition, Beige leather interior in great condition albeit a bit dirty in places with heated front seats.

It's got automatic lights and windscreen wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, 6 disc CD changer (and single slot CD player).

I thought it was a bargain at £1550:-

CIMG1703.jpg

CIMG1701.jpg

CIMG1700.jpg

CIMG1699.jpg

Of course nothing is without fault and so far I've noticed:

Drivers door clonks moving it between positions when opening
The hand brake release button doesn't work well making it awkward to get the hand brake off
Both interior handles have worn
The gear knob has worn
It's been keyed on the bonnet and down the passenger door
It has had TAZ written on the paint work of the bootlid (may come out with T-Cut)
Tyres are worn (spotted this when I bought it hence a reflection in the price)
5p size dink in the rear offside panel.

A couple of positives I've noted:

All electrics work
The cambelt has been changed twice!?
Drives smoothly with no vibrations under acceleration or at motorway speeds
No clonks over bumps so the mounts/bushes are hopefully ok.
No advisories on the last two MOTs
MOT until next June
I'm the third owner I think.
HPI clear

I'm sure it's probably not most people's first choice (I'm sure there's plenty of people here who wouldn't have gone for, or expected me to go for a diesel fiesta!), but if it works, is cheap enough and most importantly, simply works, then you can't really go far wrong for the price!

We now need an admin meet for all our non-pumas! :D

Yeah... Not quite the 2.2 ST Mondeo I was aiming for but at a quarter of the cost I had no justification when most of the Mondeo ST at £5000-£6000 have like 130,000 miles on them and probably aren't in any better condition.

I used to have one of these.

Handbrake button is a common fault so I heard. Mine was a bit hard to press in.
On humpback bridges, that you dont know are there, dont go too fast, they can take off dispite weighing lots!

Id suggest keeping a coil pack in the car, and if one goes then order 3 more as the tend to go at the same time.

Any questions you might have then pm and I'll try and remember what to do to fix things lol.

Finding a solid well historied car is worth it's weight in gold whatever it is :eek:k:

red said:
Yeah... Not quite the 2.2 ST Mondeo I was aiming for but at a quarter of the cost I had no justification when most of the Mondeo ST at £5000-£6000 have like 130,000 miles on them and probably aren't in any better condition.

Mines 2.2 ST Mondeo has only got 74K on it and I might be wanting to sell soon for just over the higher end of your price range... But then you didn't ask :p

Yeah yours in nice Dal :) however we decided to try and avoid getting a loan for a car i.e. buy with hard earned cash which put the budget down a substantial amount! I already have one loan on the go from when I bought 0201 and had the engine failure so going to get that cleared off first and in the mean time hopefully have some reasonably trouble free miles in this car!

If anyone knows how to fix the handbrake that'll be my first job as having it stuck on when the lights turn green is less than ideal!

Then the tyres.. or maybe the tyres at the same time! Looking at replacing all four to give a good quality road feel.

Best bet is to check the connector to the cables from the handbrake. Need to remove parts of the centre console to get at it.

Sometimes the cables become uneven and can cause the button to start sticking.

I like :)

I've always been a fan of the mk2 Meganes. Bargain price too!

Well it's in at the garage, the handbrake is a sealed unit so awkward to repair hence I've just ordered a second hand replacement from a 56 plate car which will hopefully work!

The idling problem is also hopefully being resolved today.

Handbrake replaced and working much better. (I.e. releases reliably)

The car has now had a third cambelt change!!

The idling problem was caused by the cambelt being 2 teeth out on one of the cams! (Locking tool wouldn't fit in) Apparently it looked as though the kit hadn't been used or the proper locking tool either so likely done on the cheap (by a gorilla by the sound of it).

I've had it replaced using the kit and it's now correctly timed and running much much better surprisingly.

Next on the list is 4 new tyres and then I'll be happy with it running wise then it'll be more minor things to attend to.

Well I've just ordered my second set of 4 tyres.

The driver side head light and side light are currently out
Judders like it's on 3 but only occasionally which is strange! (might be worth checking the coils again)
Few MOT advisories to look over like rear brake pads..
Desperately needs a service.

Has had a new clutch and slave cylinder

@107,300
Just changed the 4 spark plugs and air filter
Re-positioned the air-intake as it wasn't seated correctly

Have an oil filter ready for an oil change and 5w40 Fully Synthetic on order.

4 x Toyo CF2 205/55/16 94H have been delivered and are awaiting fitting.

I also got off my arse and polished the word taz off off the boot lid.

:thumbs: Yeah something like that hah, fortunately only the rear of the front bumper but seriously the access is horrendous.

Replaced pollen (cabin) filter.
4 new Toyo CF2s fitted today.

Car unsurprisingly seems to be running much smoother.

Next up oil change and headlight.

My 12 litres of oil has arrived :lol:

OS Headlight and sidelight bulbs replaced and both now working again.

4.xx litres of oil and oil filter replacement complete @107,972 mile.

Really pleased that I bought a 6 litre oil drain can, a sump plug socket and an oil filter socket/wrench. Made the job simple and hassle free. Albeit my oil was a bit to warm and came out a bit to fast for the drain can to catch it all but it only lost about 0.3l worth onto the road.

Back