The MKII Megane...

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I think the components held up reasonable, I've had the car for 30,000 miles and this is the first time I've serviced it. The service counter had reset when i bought it but I have no idea how recently it had been serviced.

The spark plugs were a bit burnt and blackened.

The air filter was a little dirty.

All of the essential components on show whilst the oil was draining.

My £10 bottle of oil and my pattern oil filter.

Oops, it came a bit fast and made a little bit of a mess. My bottle had 4.5l of old oil in it after it had finished draining so not much on the road in reality.

I've reset the service light so I've now got another 18,000 miles until the next service is due! Although I'll do it on the anniversary should I not have quite made it to 18k over the next year.

There was a few hundred thousand miles left in that air filter!

:shock:

Well... thread resurrection!

The Megane is still going, just clocked 125,000 miles.

I've just replaced the spark plugs, 4 coils, air filter, oil filter, pollen filter and changed the oil. Needless to say it's running better.

I decided in my infinite wisdom to clean the throttle body as it was a bit gunked up, lovely air intake cleaner with a gentle wipe with a paper towel.. put it back together and my idle was all wrong! Took it back off, checked it over, re-fitted, checked for air leaks, nothing.. yet it was still idling at 1200 from cold and if revved was rising to 2000-25000 rpm. Engine load would bring it down and it wasn't fluctuating.

Fortunately(?) the car was due it's MOT at the end of March so I put it in with the high idle and told the mechanic what had been done and what was now happening. He put the car straight in for MOT to see what might need doing and it failed on:

High idle (Emissions)
Rear brake discs
Number plate bulb
Rear brake light
Broken suspension spring

I think that was it.

The high idle was the priority since without fixing this there was no point doing the other bits (the rear discs are expensive as they include the bearing).

The Mechanic checked it all over and found the same, no obvious faults, no air leaks. He fixed it by getting someone in to re-calibrate the throttle body and now it idles a dream again. I had read online that this might happen but thought it was probably scaremongering.. turns out it did of course. Apparently the throttle bodies are also programmed to the car specifically so you can't even just swap one out for another without the right equipment.

The other fail items were repaired and we're back on the road again! Minor advisories for the front discs only.

Gave it a celebratory clean last night. Thanks for reading my pointless drivel.

Well the end of the.. saga..

Yesterday saw the back of the Megane, it drove off in to the sunset over to Corby.

I put it of eBay starting at a penny with no reserve and it sold for the princely sum of £230

The car didn't owe me anything and I thought it might make more but I was honest about it's faults and the fact it's broken down on me twice this year because of coil failure on one cylinder. In good condition Auto Trade valued it at £680 so I suppose it's fair.

Anyway good luck to the new owner :grin:

Sometimes it just a nice feeling to get rid of a burden around your neck isn't it. :eek:k:

Indeed :)

I'll miss it in a weird way, it has, given it's faults been a very cheap and mostly reliable car to own and not only that it's the car I've owned the longest in my life!

Back