The Mother Of All Noises

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah

I was driving to Manchester today and suddenly, my car started to make that weird wowly noise, normally indicative of brake pads going. But I had the front ones done earlier in March. Could it be the backs?

And if so, how much, etcetcetc....

Ta

If its brake shoes for the rear theyre only cheap, but it could be something rubbing against the wheel or something? Im not much good i know. The brake pad might be rubbing the disc even though you changed it. Were you losing any power?

PS whats a 'wowly' noise :)

Gosh, I wish I was sitting with you in a pub right now so I could do my full-on 'wowly' noise and you'd look really embarrassed in an 'I'm not with her,' kind of look....!

Anyway, I think Kwik-Fit recommended I get the brake shoes replaced but it wasn't urgent so I didn't go for it. I think now, though, seeing as passer-bys were looking at my car as it, er, 'wowled' past, it's time....no power loss, no.

I would say rear wheel bearings. Get this checked ASAP as your wheels WILL fall off if they are sufficiently worn out :cry:

Price wise, bout 40 quid ( PB charge 46 for an FRP bearing )

Labour - standard is 1.5 hours, so round that up to 2. Not sure what average labour costs are but I'd say bout 150 all in (including parts) if you are lucky

Thats gotta be for both sides,
a few year back my laguna front wheel bearing was only £50 fitted, at motorsave

Ford quote 1.5 hours labour per bearing.

That will probably be the same at any garage, difference in price will be dependent on the labour costs. Ford dealers charge more than local backstreet garage.

'twas a driveshaft bearing thing-y. Took it to a local garage where a mechanic inspected it, got down underneath it, tightened it and sent me on my way, without charging me a bean. He did say that it should be replaced, but that it wasn't urgent and indeed that it might never come back to scare passer-bys.....

Remind me if your at ford fair to ask you about the 'wowly' noise. Ill do my best 'chugga chugga ping' impression. :)

Glad its sorted :eek:k:

Interesting if he 'tightened' the bearing...guess he just packed it with more grease...

At least the noise is gone now :cool:

Did he mention 'driveshaft gaiter' as gaiter damage can lead to loss of lubricant in the driveshaft coupling leading to failure of the joint (preceded by loud banging noises and kicking through the steering wheel).

Sorry for scaremongering but I don't take chances mechanically with cars! 8)

Have just asked a friend to clarify and it's the 'floating bearing on the engine mounts.'

Ta-da!

...he continues

'because that was slack at the staple it allowed extra vibration which allowed the drive shaft to have very slight lateral play - a few mm which was enough to unseat it from the circlip groove and make minor noise from poor mesh on the splines.'

Can you tell that I'm just copying and pasting this from MSN?

Back