Thinking of getting a FRP

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitch-w

Hello people, after going out in Bentleya FRP at the essex meet, its got me thinking i really want a FRP now, just had a insurance quote on one and its only £100 more than my 1.4 lol so when i look at it like that it makes me want one even more, but my main question is what are they like all the time on the road i wont be using it every day as a every day car just weekends thanks mitch :thumbs:

They are fine if you can put up with a harsh ride, a number of members use them every day, I just use mine at the weekend, just beware as a number of other halves dont like them as they are a bit bumpy !!

Just beware on insurance as the cars on the log book and insurance databases come up as standard 1.7 pumas not FRPs as technically this was an optional extra!! so the standard insurance companies generally only think it is a 125ps 1.7 which means your insurance would be void if you had an accident. Please double check they are covering you for a 160ps FRP.

Simon

Blue3 said:
They are fine if you can put up with a harsh ride, a number of members use them every day, I just use mine at the weekend, just beware as a number of other halves dont like them as they are a bit bumpy !!

Just beware on insurance as the cars on the log book and insurance databases come up as standard 1.7 pumas not FRPs as technically this was an optional extra!! so the standard insurance companies generally only think it is a 125ps 1.7 which means your insurance would be void if you had an accident. Please double check they are covering you for a 160ps FRP.

Simon

thanks for the reply, the harsh ride im not bothered about lol, so they a a good car to use evey day aswell if you can put up with the harsh ride

Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs
Running costs

Should tell you everything you need to know - especially if you get one of the many that need work ;)

Parts are a pig to get hold of now too - Pumabuild have the remnants of them. Unfortunatley, that means dealing with them.

at the end of the day that is no different to any 11 year old car, if you are prepared to work on it yourself then it shouldnt be an issue. The only frp specific bits that are likely to need maintenance are shocks and brakes. Yes these are expensive esp the front, so just choose wisely when you buy.

Simon

Agree with neil keeping them together can be a pain. more maintance stuff now more then everything else (re-spray de-rust, brakes, etc).

Mines a daily runner and its pretty good, although thats 24 miles round trip. If your thinking about taking it on LONG journeys daily i would seriously keep a std.

you will have most of those on a standard puma though, it is only really the brakes that are higher maintenance and bigger bucks, it depend what you want a daily runner or a concourse car, I have spent a fair bit on mine, but that was mainly to tidy bits up, I think a lot comes down to choosing wisely when you buy, I looked at 5 before I bought mine and there are some right nails out there as well as some very good cars.

Xrion236 said:
Agree with neil keeping them together can be a pain. more maintance stuff now more then everything else (re-spray de-rust, brakes, etc).

Mines a daily runner and its pretty good, although thats 24 miles round trip. If your thinking about taking it on LONG journeys daily i would seriously keep a std.

my budget is around the 6-7k mark

had a look at a few on the web tonight and they look ok but not gunna rush into this until i find the one i want so if it takes 6 months then i dont care lol

Thats the best way, unfortunately pictures on the web can be very deceiving, the 5 I looked at looked great, but close up had poor panel fit, bad paint jobs, neglected brakes etc etc. I dropped lucky in the end with mine as it needed tidying around the edges but hadnt been messed with.
Take your time in buying and closely examine front brakes a set of callipers and disks will set you back just shy of £1000.

I also ended up asking seller to send photos of brakes, rear arches interior etc before travelling up and down the country to see them.

Simon

^ Everything he said.

I rushed into buying mine (the first one I viewed too, and paid over the odds for it). Take your time.

if you want one mate then go ahead :)

your obviously aware of the running costs, most of which are standard Puma parts apart from the obvious, brakes, bodywork, suspension etc ;)

get around, test drive a few and have a good butchers :eek:k:

I got mine for 5k (albeit from spike lol) and its great, I use it every day and wouldnt change it for the world :D

its people that don't do their research properly and rush into getting one just because they 'want one' that it costs them more than expected

Good luck on your search and hope you find a good un :D :eek:k:

Spot on

Zara said:
if you want one mate then go ahead :)

your obviously aware of the running costs, most of which are standard Puma parts apart from the obvious, brakes, bodywork, suspension etc ;)

get around, test drive a few and have a good butchers :eek:k:

I got mine for 5k (albeit from spike lol) and its great, I use it every day and wouldnt change it for the world :D

its people that don't do their research properly and rush into getting one just because they 'want one' that it costs them more than expected

Good luck on your search and hope you find a good un :D :eek:k:

get one mate they have every thing u need with out changing them. done see many aswell so u get alot of looks in them. as long as u look after the car and the car will look after you

thanks guys yeahh defo not rushing into it i know it will be a long wait but worth it, was thinking in bed last night even if it takes a year to find a good one it will be worth it :eek:k:
@ zara how do you find yours as a daily driver.

Blue3 said:
unfortunately pictures on the web can be very deceiving, the 5 I looked at looked great, but close up had poor panel fit

rofl thats most of em out the window then.

Also just remember like all Pumas there 11 years old now so nigly bits are going to start to pop up. Like Zara's thermostat housing and my inner CV joint spider.

I use mine as a daily car and it's brilliant! It's what you need first thing in the morning! And allways puts a smile on my face!

Unfortunatley most cars have poor panel fit - the drivers side wing never fitted properly on mine, and had to be adjusted.

Vitch-w said:
, if i do use it for work it will be a 2 mile all round trip.

That's a seriously bad idea for the FRP (Or indeed any 1.7 Puma) Short trips are a real killer.

Buy a push bike as well.

Back