Throttle bodies

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dal

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know where to get them for a puma? Are they worth it? How much?

I was thinking of an FRP inlet, but am now thinking how to do it 'properly' as I've heard these are better.

loadsa wedge!!!! youl need the bodies, good cams, aftermarket ecu, mapping session........lots of dosh!

pumabuild will know where to get the s1600 bodies (£3000 tho!!)

the frp plenum has proper trumpets inside it...quite impressive really! you wont get much better without throttle bodies but the jump in terms of cost is massive....

with a few breathing tweeks, cams & ecu you should be banging on the 100bhp per litre figure which is very respectable....

basically frp spec with a ported head......

How much of a difference would an FRP inlet make to my car though? Only got a Milltek cat back and FRP mapping atm.

on its own it can add upto 12bhp..... say 10 just to be sure...

it is a 'real' mod not just for looks...

which is a bout the same as a whole 'proper' exhaust....

then add about the same for the cams

& a couple more for the ecu....

a good porting job will make a world of difference, upto 20bhp

so your looking at 175 ish bhp which is just over 100bhp per litre, save some weight & theres not much out there that will better it......

civic type r maybe but thats a lardy arse!!!

get the puma down to a ton & its 170bhp per ton; not many cars out there can better that... (without spending serious money!!)

Just sell the puma and get an Integra Type R ;)

If you're willing to find a decent engine guy, then you can get bike throttle bodies working without a lot of fuss. The standard injectors are good to at least 160bhp already, and further if legend is to be believed, so you can just run the butterflies without new injectors

You need to get a manifold made up to match the throttle bodies to the head ports, and if Dan from Fast Ford is to be believed, you can run it all with Megasquirt managment. I'm not sure yet whether the MS ECU can deal with the VCT, although I think it could handle it it's finding out the technical data behind the system to allow to to copy it that's the tricky part.

You can easily snag a set of bike TBs from ebay for a couple of hundred, plus there's a guy in the UK who builds and sells ready to run MS ECUs complete with a wiring loom and basic map for around £300, and you'd probably be looking at around £100 if you can find a decent fabricator to do the manifold for you

Well as I'm a mech engineer, designing cast fabrications amongst other things, I could get that done pretty easily :eek:k:

As for the question of whether it's all 'worth it' in a puma that is getting on for 10 years old - that's another question.

I like him the way he is at the moment as I can still get 40+ mpg and have fun when I want to as well (and he sounds nice) Was just wondering if throttle bodies are a) Easy to get / fit and b) Costly.

When funds allow, I'll sell him on and get something newer.

Easy to get and fit yes. Getting an ECU setup to run them properly is much more difficult. There is an Omex unit that'll run the VCT but it's loadsa money. You could easily have a throttle body system mapped to give good economy, and they sound heavenly, but the problem lies in finding the ECU to run it all. I reckon that Megasquirt could do it, but I'm too chicken to test my theory on my only car.

Back