Timing belt gone wrong!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rynrack

Had a new timing belt fitted friday on my 1.7. Unfortunately got it back and it has lost all low end power, hesitates under acceleration and seems pretty unwell. I'm thinking it hasn't been timed right or something with the VCT has been ignored and has gone wrong? Its like there is no VCT anymore. Anyone have any answers?
Going down the garage tomorrow to sort it out but maybe someone could give me an idea what they have done wrong.
Cheers!

Either incorrectly set the timing belt tensioner or not properly tightened the stretch bolts on the VCT Pulley or crankshaft. Either way don't start it until it's confirmed or you may have a scrap engine!
Barry

Forgot to mention apart from acceleration and low end grunt, it starts runs and drives fine. it idles slightly lower than before as well.

Rynrack said:
Forgot to mention apart from acceleration and low end grunt, it starts runs and drives fine. it idles slightly lower than before as well.

Hi

I'm about to do the cambelt kit as well and when I was asking around, many member on the forum said, that the Puma's timing can be very difficult. "joedeltath" sent me this message.

as i found out you can do it wrong and car runs fine ........ for a while then it jumps a tooth or two and bye bye engine

its all bout the tensioning sequence, your garage probably wont like it but i suggest you take a copy of gates guide with you and ask him to read it, if hes not done a puma cam belt before he needs this!!!

http://www.gates.com/europe/file_displa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... 33XS%2Epdf

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=22948&hilit=gates+guide

I'm gonna ask the garage tomorrow, to have a look at these documents, and if they don't wanna have a look, I'll walk away. One of the guy said to me, when I was booking her in: it looks like the Fiesta engine...Take your car back, print these documents and tell them to fix it like that.

It could be mistimed but if the tensioner has not been activated properly the belt could have jumped so I still wouldn't start it until the timing's checked. It may also be one of the engines peripherals that's not been put back right, such as an HT lead etc, etc.
Barry

Has the VCT sensor & also the solenoid been plugged back in on top of the rocker cover?

DOH said:
Has the VCT sensor & also the solenoid been plugged back in on top of the rocker cover?
Was going to suggest the same. Good shout for diagnosis

Best of luck

Ally

Had it back from the garage today. They stripped the whole bottom end re done the lot. Don't know what the problem was but its all fixed now. Car is back to itself :D

The most obvious 'screw up' is to allow the crank to turn back slightly before the bottom pulley is re-fitted and tensioned up..

This easily happens because most people do this job without actually locking up the crank at the other side (flywheel)..

Most of the ones I do have all been tensioned incorrectly, not because tensioner procedure has been done wrong but because people can't be arsed to loosen off the cams and re-tension the belt all the way round correctly (more info here http://www.pumapeople.com/forum/ind...+cam +belt +tension&fromsearch=1&#entry928934

Despite this most units seem to carry on working ok, the owners completely oblivious to the issue :? just don't hit the rev limiter too many times..lol :eek:

The engine can certainly tell the difference when it's done right tho.. :cool: :cool:

el dude said:
The most obvious 'screw up' is to allow the crank to turn back slightly before the bottom pulley is re-fitted and tensioned up..

This easily happens because most people do this job without actually locking up the crank at the other side (flywheel)..
Would that show up as a DTC error in any way?

Youre all getting far too technical for me! I'm just happy to have my cat back to normal! :D

Latest posts

Back