Timing belt kit

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3xpendable

Don't laugh, but I've been told the Fiesta 1.6 Zetec timing belt kit is the same as the Puma 1.7, but I think the tensioner is different. After spitting out your coffee can you tell me if that's right?

The person who told me says its the same, but much cheaper to get a Fiesta kit than a Puma?

:shock: :?
Don't do it.
Get a Ford or Gates kit for the 1.7.
Replace the water pump and thermostat while you're in there.You already have a new HCV (was it a Ford one they fitted? If not you'll most likely be replacing it soon :-( )
Replace the coolant so you know it's fresh. Cooling system sorted :lol:
Paul

Yeah thanks guys, I didn't want to sound like I was skimping as I'm not that sort of person, but just wanted to be sure.

Already on the list so will do.

EDIT: I looked at the guide for doing the timing belt. I have the cam locking tool (the bar), is it a requirement to have the little nobbly locking tool that jams between the camshaft and the head?

I've done belts before but not VCT.

Gates Kit £54.86, delivered:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cam-Timing-Belt-Kit-Ford-Puma-Mk1-97-02-1-7-Petrol-/111243037101?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Model%3APuma&hash=item19e69a09ad" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hi Welshie
First of all the timing tools are for positioning and definitely not for locking as if you use them as that you will damage the engine and secondly the pin positions the crankshaft and the plate does the camshaft.
Hope that helps.
Barry

Sorry Barry,

I sound quite the rookie don't I?! I promise I'm not, just new to Pumas. Yes I meant positioning as I'm aware of the damage that can do, so if I have the bar so I need any other positioning tool? I'm not sure if I need something for the VCT pulley thats all and am planning to do it this weekend so don't want to make a hash of it.

Iwan

turn the crank over to rest against the TDC pin.... lock at the flywheel using Flywheel locking tool (ideally)

remove bottom pulley... timing belt and tensioner....undo both camshaft pulleys (ideally change out the seals too)

Align camshafts with bar in place

leave the exhaust cam pulley finger tight so that when you pull out the tensioner pin it stretches the area between the two cam pulleys...(and all the way round :) )

torque up pulleys... be careful to resist the cam movement if your leaving the bar in place, or you'll snap the ends off.. lol

torque up remainder of bolts to specification...

that's a bit brief and a bit jumbled up...but that's the gist of it :cool:

Get the proper belt and tensioner. I did my timing belt at work on a 2 post lift and it took me about 3 n a half hours. The bottom pulley was tight to get off.

Yup I've ordered the Gate's kit, was cheaper than my 'trade' supplier too!

Okey dokey I'll give it a go, whats the 'TDC pin' you refer too? Is that the pin that goes under the camshaft?

Hi Welshy
The TDC pin is the one that screws into the back of the block (when you've removed the plug). The crank web rests onto the end of it when the engines at TDC.
Barry

I work at Ford believe it or not so just went down to the engine eval labs to have a look at a Sigma engine so it gave me a better idea, I just found the cambelt change guide in the 'How to' forum too.

Hi, I'm new here and orient it's a little hard ... anyone advise me what are the dimensions of the locking tool to lock the cams in 1.7?

Latest posts

Back