To scrap or not to scrap

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkerdinho

Guys first time poster, wish it was under different circumstances. Just 'failed' an MOT on my 01 1.7 zetec, turns out the water pump is about to go and the mechanic didn't want to test it. I do not have the money to put it right £400 say halfords, my dilemma is do I scrap it, £170 best price so far. Or is it worth trying to sell on. Seems such a shame to scrap one of the best cars I've ever driven and any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Tried another MOT station?
Presumably the said pump is making a lot of noise, hence the diagnosis. It is a royal pain to change it, especially without disturbing the cambelt, thats why most folk do the lot as you are there. In all honesty if it is that bad just check the how to guides on here and have a go. Worst you will do is turn the car from potentially a breaker to actually one fit to strip, then sell the parts to get some cash back.

Welcome aboard,It doesnt seem like a water pump should be the end of your car.What did it fail its MOT on?

Scrap it on a water pump? What's the condition of the rest of the car?

Granted, the pump is a pain in the arse to get to, but it's hardly worth junking the car for.

The tester said he didn't wanna touch it in case he blew the engine on the emissions test. The car is in great condition slight rust on the wheel arch but aside from that it's a perfect runner. Did 200 mile run last week, just don't have the money to fix it and no1 will surely purchase without an mot

In caterham Surrey mate, it does seem a shame, would break my heart to do it to be fair, just haven't got the funds and have a lack of interest

Firstly..... you would be mad to scrap it just for a water pump. If that's all the work that needs doing you will struggle to find another car as good for £400. Just store it up until you can afford.

Secondly.... steer the hell clear from halfords, ford changed my cambelt and water pump for £360, so you should be cheaper than that even at an indie.

Hope it all goes well in the end mate! :eek:k:

slayllian said:
Firstly..... you would be mad to scrap it just for a water pump. If that's all the work that needs doing you will struggle to find another car as good for £400. Just store it up until you can afford.

Secondly.... steer the hell clear from halfords, ford changed my cambelt and water pump for £360, so you should be cheaper than that even at an indie.

Hope it all goes well in the end mate! :eek:k:

This.

Can't stress enough how you should avoid Halfords for things like that. If he can get Ford themselves to fix it for £360 then I'm sure you can find a local garage that'll do it less than that. There's plenty of people on here who I'm sure will help you out as well.

Don't scrap it - Halfords are talking bu*$^%it.

Right... whats the details of the car? Mileage damages etc?
If you scrap it for £175... i'll save it for £200.....
Get the jist...... you want rid... i'll have it if its not been driven into the ground.

And Welcome :lol:

I would take it elsewhere. Sounds like the MOT guy thinks it is a diesel....the "free acceleration" smoke test for diesels had a reputation for snapping timing belts. Personally I thought it was a stupid test. I cannot see how 2000rpm would likely cause an issue for a Puma, assuming the car has/is being driven until now.

Any suspicion that the belt will go and no one will test it, fairly common thing for MOTs. Its not that anything in the test will make it fail as such, its just that the tester doesn't want to be the person who it fails on. Even if you sign something first to say you're happy to not hold them responsible, they still have a broken car on their MOT ramp which needs moving/storing whatever.

You could try other places but I would guess most people will say the same.

If it wants a water pump, get one. Probably looking 250-300 for a water pump and belts at a local independent. Phone around, get some prices, see how you feel.

Back