TOO MUCH POWER?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sax-puma

How much horsepower can the standard 1.7 gearbox handle?

I'm looking at getting about 150BHP out of it :twisted:

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?t=62" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that has all the info you need.

Thats what I thought, apparently the FRP works well with the standard gearbox, only difference is, it has a slip differential.

It was an option, not all had one. 150BHP will be fine, for how much it costs to achieve 150bhp are you sure its worth it for 30BHP???

I have considered this.

FRP are very rare now and hard to find a good one.

My puma is worth modifying, It's the 1.7, it only has 27k on the clock and it's had just 2 previous owners. I intend to keep it for a while, so for the enjoyment I will get out of seeing and feeling it change and improve, yes it is worth it.

Cheers,

The beast is going in the garage on tuesday to fit new wheels and coilovers.

I'll upload the pics :)

Yes Rick, only on the first and second gear cogs though - probably to counteract the lack of the torque limiter on FRPs.

YOG said:
The FRP box has shot peening to the cogs, doesn't it?

well, funny you mention this... Peter bettie always stated this was the case...

but one of the ford technicainas who worked on the project (now at Dunton) laughed at that and said ..'rubbish' :lol:

:wink:

Chris

mod edited to keep on topic, NOS discussion thread is now here: http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=5368" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Isn't Toby's 270bhp beast still running an IB5?

Its better when we play nicely lol :)

270!! Wow never expected it to take that much

I think the question should be how much can the 1.7 take

I hate to be pedantic but it's torque that kills gearboxes not bhp ;) But obviously if you're running 270bhp you will also have alot of torque to go with it. Anything N/A the ib5 will (should) take. I'm also aiming for 150!

Ok, we're going a little off topic here, and getting a little heated. I'm just going to lock the thread whilst I split out the NOS vs Turbo etc posts and dump them in a new thread.

Back