Tool set to service the Puma

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AdamD

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_195903_langId_-1_categoryId_165572#BVRRWidgetID" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at getting this to do a full service on my Puma.

Is everything there that i need?
Good set or anything different i should get?

Thanks.

You definitely needs some spanners and some of the smaller spanners but the million dollar question is what are you planning on doing?

Oil filer - oil filter remover - or do it by hand it isn't on too tight
Sump plug ( I think it is 12 / 13mm ) socket.
Air Filter - Philips screw drivers if your air box screws are not broken :grin:
Pollen filter - no tools needed
Fuel Filter - Pliers to unto the clips - if the clip is still there :grin:
If you are going to bleed brakes you need some small spanners can't remember if it is 10 / 12 /13 mm socket I know the battery terminals need at 10mm.
Brake bleeding kit?

Ohh like the look of that for the money! I need a new socket set!
In addition to this I would get Pliers, Full set of Screwdrivers a set of Torx and Hex key bits and a set of spanners as a minimum. If your planning on doing anything with Brakes etc then a Torqe wrench is also an essential item if you don't have one. But I love tools so I could go on and on lol!

I got that really cheap set halfords are doing for a tenner at the moment and it seems to cover most things.
But I do have my eye on that duluxe one they do for £100.

cheap tools are a waste of time and money........

buy the best you can afford they will last a life time :wink: :wink: and if you buy Snap-on or Mac tools they will have a lifetime guarantee.......they are also made for everyday use not just :wink: to be used once and break.......
thats the end of my rant :lol: :lol:

cheers boys'n'girls

Voa said:
You definitely needs some spanners and some of the smaller spanners but the million dollar question is what are you planning on doing?

Oil filer - oil filter remover - or do it by hand it isn't on too tight
Sump plug ( I think it is 12 / 13mm ) socket.
Air Filter - Philips screw drivers if your air box screws are not broken :grin:
Pollen filter - no tools needed
Fuel Filter - Pliers to unto the clips - if the clip is still there :grin:
If you are going to bleed brakes you need some small spanners can't remember if it is 10 / 12 /13 mm socket I know the battery terminals need at 10mm.
Brake bleeding kit?

I already have this set of spanners,

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_229913_langId_-1_categoryId_165572" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ive got pliers and screw drivers sets and them little torx screw bits to so far :)

Have to agree with Mac, cheap tools suck.

False economy - buy cheap buy twice; or a few times with Halfords.

Morgan funk said:
Have to agree with Mac, cheap tools suck.

False economy - buy cheap buy twice; or a few times with Halfords.

I've always been under the impression Halfords lifetime tools are actually pretty decent stuff?

I've never had a Halford tool break on me, i've had loads of others break though.

I bought halfords so called proffesional quality torx fittings for 20 quid and one fell apart the next day , which did annoyed me considerably :cry: thankfully the cheap socket set I picked up for a tenner was not halfords and seems to be doing considerably better, hilka I think, down from £30. :grin:

I have quite a bit of halfords stuff including there pro socket set which is going well.
There torx 50 socket I bought though snapped off first use so not impressed meant I could not get discs of missus 206 that day!

bunch1980 said:
I have quite a bit of halfords stuff including there pro socket set which is going well.
There torx 50 socket I bought though snapped off first use so not impressed meant I could not get discs of missus 206 that day!

gutted! know how you feel, the end piece fell out of mine when I was putting the seatbelts back in after rebuilding the interior. Hunted for about half an hour just to find it sitting in the screw head! :oops:

I got a Halfords Profesional 300 piece tool kit for my 18th birthday. 12 years on and that kit has helped me fix 8 different cars. The only pieces I have had to replace are due to me using them for things they were not designed (like using a socket and extension bar to remove locking wheel nuts etc) for everything else which has included some fairly major work they have served me well. Couldn't agree more that cheap tools are a false economy but IMO unless your are using your tools on a daily basis then this kind of kit is more than adequate for a bit of DIY mechanics provided they are looked after.

Obviously just my opinion and if I had the money I would buy a full set of Snap-on tools tomorrow :wink:

That kit looks good especially as it has the 32mm socket (Used on Puma front driveshaft nut) which a lot of kits don't come with, or at least the half dozen sets I have didn't so I had to buy a seperate one along with a 30mm.

I'm not a Halfords fan to say the least but have to concede that I do have quite a few socket sets, Torx sets and numerous indiviual items. The only thing that has been useless in what must be the last 25 years at least was a set of long nose mole grips....all the rest have been brilliant and still are. With a lifetime guarantee I couldn't careless who made them and certainly wouldn't pay WAY over the odd's for Snap-on (basically the tool worlds designer label, overpriced and no better than most others, apparently another 'cool' label to adorn oneself, yet another case of....Baaaaaa).

it might come with that socket but the ratchet will be absolutely useless to use it with :lol:

halfords advanced stuff is actually sairly good quality

regrads original post that will allow you to do the basics, oil and filter, front brake pads, air filter change etc

but things like cambelt or anything remotely advanced, hell now

ScubaSteve said:
it might come with that socket but the ratchet will be absolutely useless to use it with :lol:

halfords advanced stuff is actually sairly good quality

regrads original post that will allow you to do the basics, oil and filter, front brake pads, air filter change etc

but things like cambelt or anything remotely advanced, hell now

I'd never attempt a cam belt change anyway lol.

Way too advanced for a novice.

Admittedly I may be denigrating halfords in general where I should be more specific, as the ratchet set I had is still going strong after 8yrs or more and the floor jack.

The Torx bits have a tendency to twist on me but unsure if any other vendors would have survived better.

I have snapped the end off an open face spanner before, which in turn opened the face of my knuckle.

Essential bit of equipment is always a long & a short peice of scaffolding tube or equivalent for extra torque (could be why I twist & snap stuff :grin: )

An even more essential item is copper slip grease, then the person who buys the car off you doesn't need any extra torque.

if your going to buy spanners go to somewere like screwfix and get gooseneck spanners, will always come in handy for other jobs. bought some to do my suspension on my old car and used them for loads other jobs as it saved my knuckles hitting anything too close to what i was undoing

one thing to note, they are all multi point sockets, which have a tendancy to roundoff any weaker nuts, much better getting six point sockets as these are much less likely to slip. perfect example is the sump plug. if these have been over tightened they can be apain to remove with a 12point socket, as i found out when trying on my two fords as it rounded them both off. did my mates with a six point and although his was unbelievably tight ( had to use the jack handle as extra torque ) it removed it no problem. also, thatset has imperial sizes that you will rarely use.

I've got Halfords Pro series stuff - sockets, spanners, pliers and screwdrivers - probably can't compare with Teng or snap-on but bloody good kit and well up to the job, certainly good enough for this home bodger :lol:

I have this 150pc set : http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_173083_langId_-1_categoryId_255215" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which I think for £100 you can't go wrong. This also has the 32mm socket.

They have been good for me over the last 2 years and they are covered by a lifetime guarantee if you did manage to snap them using them properly (mechanical moving parts aren't covered)

Back