Top strut weights.... yes or no?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pumad

I have recently fitted a set of AP coilovers which make the car sit nicely low, a little bumpy but still a bit comfy...

Only when mounted there's not enough thread to cover the cup->weight->washer->nut...

So i have only mounted the cup, and not the weight. I know by now that the weight is also available in a new style which fits.

But is it necessary to have the weights on?

i'm coming up with this as my car has been a little wobbly under acceleration.. replaced the right driveshaft and CV joints, and also the intermediate drive shaft bearing, which had some play... But this sorted nothing out really.. I have a left drive shaft lying around in the garage which i want to fit next week... can't imagine that the intermediate drive shaft is causing it to judder... so i'm looking everywhere now this problem came up since it is lowered... so the lower stance of the drive shafts could also be a thing ?

i got rid recently when i fitted coilovers, just used a washer either side the same size contact patch if you like, as the weights. done about 200miles fine but one side has started to come loose slightly and was making a creaking noise yesterday but i think its just a case of tightening the top nut up. havnt had chance to check yet though. thats the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Hi - I've literally just been on the phone with Puma Speed within the hours and purchased a set of AP coil overs. In the course of the conversation I was advised that whenever they fit a set of the aforementioned they remove the top weight for the exact reason you stated and they're not needed.

Hoping to receive them his week ready for fitting at the weekend along with the new Power Flex rear beam mounts I got from them as well.......oh and new brake pads..........MOT is due this month.

May start a project thread in the not too distant future as I've had the car a couple of years now and to be honest I love the way it drives and think it's more worthy of a little TLC.

Back