Tow truck spectacle or towing vehicle

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quest63

Hi Im in urgent need of the above to move a car from Prestwich to Mossley for a cheapish fee

Anybody out there who can help or knows a man who can (or lady :-D )

Did I underline cheapish :-D

IIRC, a towed vehicle must be road legal if any of it's wheels touch the road. If not, probably best to either trailer it, or on the back of a breakdown truck.

Hi YOG, yes I've been pondering just that i.e whether 2 wheels on the floor is ok or not. I seem to remember that it was deemed a trailer if only two wheels were on the floor but that was 20 + years ago and I may just have wanted to believe that back then. Yep truck or trailer is very much preferred folks. :thumbs:

Any colour will do :-D

I pull un-moted and un-taxed cars round the country quite legally with an A-frame
I've not once been pulled.
I'll pm you questy..

trublustu said:
I pull un-moted and un-taxed cars round the country quite legally with an A-frame
I've not once been pulled.
I'll pm you questy..

A frame is abit of a loop hole but technically still illegal,when you connect a car to a A frame it becomes a trailer in dvlas eyes which is great :cool: but any trailer with a weight over 750kg needs to be braked,so if you have a A frame and a friend sat in the car pressing the brakes it's legal i think........... but technically your friend is sat in a trailer and that isn't legal lol :grin: should be fine anyway

Quite true hillbilly.
Though having anyone in the car is a no-no..
There is gizmo which does operate the car brakes when needed, which allows you to tow something heavier than a smartcar. (I really should get one)
Fortunately most rozzers don't quite get it and myself and a few other guys I know who use these things regularly have never had an issue (or even a 'pull')

I personally have been sat in towed vehicles quite a few times and we've never had a pull, even on the motorway so I guess it's about luck and if the bobby is a wanker or not.

Towing another car on the motorway is illegal unless you are merely going to the next exit after a breakdown on the said motorway, if you are using an A frame the car on tow is a trailer and sitting in it is illegal as is towing a "sorned" motor unless it is on a trailer.

Hire a tow truck :grin:

Nearly replied the other day but didn't want be a smart arse but the misinformation is getting too much to ignore.

They're illegal. Not having been pulled is no indication of whether its acceptable. More the case that its a very fringe offence that until there's any major clampdown, most coppers won't know enough about it to know they've got you.

Have a search for Directive 2007/46/EC.

Anything over 750kg needs brakes, which has always been the case. These regulations go further and now prohibit over-run brakes on anything other than centre axle (caravan style) trailers. Which outlaws over-run turntable trailers as are popular on the continent unless they are on air brakes (or other suitable continuous system) and which also catches A-frames as you're still in this case talking about a towed combination which does not have a single set of centre axles, but which is too heavy to fall outside of the scope of the regs.

This came in to force November 2014.

Its never been a grey area, heavy stuff needs brakes and most recovery stuff doesn't have it. But even now A-frame set ups which operate the brakes on the towed vehicle are also no longer legal. Which if you notice has annoyed a lot of motorhome owners as it affects them.

The ONLY dispensation is for recovery to a place of safety. ie. not very far at all. You could possibly use some story to convince someone you've only come from down the road but its a very poor defence and very easy to disprove. Particularly if whatever you're towing has quite clearly not been on the road for some length of time.

One thing I would not rely on is ignorance of the law by those enforcing it. You only need to be out the day the briefing email arrives and you'll be next up.

Ian G said:
Nearly replied the other day but didn't want be a smart arse but the misinformation is getting too much to ignore.

They're illegal. Not having been pulled is no indication of whether its acceptable. More the case that its a very fringe offence that until there's any major clampdown, most coppers won't know enough about it to know they've got you.

Have a search for Directive 2007/46/EC.

Anything over 750kg needs brakes, which has always been the case. These regulations go further and now prohibit over-run brakes on anything other than centre axle (caravan style) trailers. Which outlaws over-run turntable trailers as are popular on the continent unless they are on air brakes (or other suitable continuous system) and which also catches A-frames as you're still in this case talking about a towed combination which does not have a single set of centre axles, but which is too heavy to fall outside of the scope of the regs.

This came in to force November 2014.

Its never been a grey area, heavy stuff needs brakes and most recovery stuff doesn't have it. But even now A-frame set ups which operate the brakes on the towed vehicle are also no longer legal. Which if you notice has annoyed a lot of motorhome owners as it affects them.

The ONLY dispensation is for recovery to a place of safety. ie. not very far at all. You could possibly use some story to convince someone you've only come from down the road but its a very poor defence and very easy to disprove. Particularly if whatever you're towing has quite clearly not been on the road for some length of time.

One thing I would not rely on is ignorance of the law by those enforcing it. You only need to be out the day the briefing email arrives and you'll be next up.

smart arse lol,i think most coppers if they can see your being safe they wouldn't want the bother and i bet there's a fair few that haven't got a clue either,i don't bother with a A frame it takes to long to connect up,near by recovering friends and family if needed i use a 3 ton bar with a hitch on it,it's much quicker,long distance i hire a trailer it's only around £40 a day.

Latest posts

Back