Travelling abroad

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby4Puma

Hey guys im planning a trip to europe and i dont know what i need for my car...like fire extinguisher etc...
p.s. im also looking for some cheap accomodation in the dover folkestone area for a couple of nights :) tnx

If you are travelling in France don't break ANY speed limits because there is no leeway.If you get stopped in some little village doing 51 KPH you will get a fine on the spot.French Gendarmes lost all sense of fun years ago,bit like the rest of the population.

+1
Working in frog land in 2000. Guy I was working with got done driving @ 161 kmh average on the Calais - Paris toll road. Speed confirmed by time between booths. At last booth we were pulled by cops, given a 600 franc (60 quid) fine payable on the spot. As we had no cash (everything done on company credit card) our passports were confiscated, in exchange we were given a map of nearest cash machine.
Once we had got some cash my mate was given a lecture about his speed and told a few kmh would have been a 6000 franc fine (600 quid).
As has been said before, two world wars against the Germans, but France is the natural enemy.....

Due to the headlight issue of the way the light beams are actually projected, I have often wondered about getting some European puma headlights so you don't have to stick those diffusing stickers on to them.
If in Germany, you can be fined on the spot for not being able to produce a first aid kit or a warning triangle.

fairlight said:
+1
Working in frog land in 2000. Guy I was working with got done driving @ 161 kmh average on the Calais - Paris toll road. Speed confirmed by time between booths. At last booth we were pulled by cops, given a 600 franc (60 quid) fine payable on the spot. As we had no cash (everything done on company credit card) our passports were confiscated, in exchange we were given a map of nearest cash machine.
Once we had got some cash my mate was given a lecture about his speed and told a few kmh would have been a 6000 franc fine (600 quid).
As has been said before, two world wars against the Germans, but France is the natural enemy.....
If you were French would have been same results plus some points...so not just bashing the Brits.You rarely see French cars doing much above 90mph these days unless they are very famliar with the local roads.

But for visiting I believe it is sufficient simply to switch the headlight so it doesn't throw the kerb light to the left so not requiring the stickers.

gingerdave said:
fairlight said:
+1
If you were French would have been same results plus some points...so not just bashing the Brits.You rarely see French cars doing much above 90mph these days unless they are very famliar with the local roads.

I like France as a country, and much as it pains me to say it, we could take a few points from them on holding gov to account, burning sheep at port of Calais anyone...
On the spot fines are an excellent way of dealing with foreign drivers as my mate found out. Shame we dont use them in this country.

So vive la france :) tnx for replying guys...i wasnt sure what i needed...like gb sticker and triangle vest and fire extinguisher ...my head lights are so foggy and oxidized that i dont need stickers :) by the way in wich position i need to put my switch so ill lower the beam? I also contacted my insurance company ecar and they told me i have european cover and if i printed my certificate i dont need anything else...about speed limits...i have to be carefull and re-adjust to km...my bike got impounded in spain cause i had us licence plate and i didnt have money to pay the ticket...anyway i wont drive very fast cause its a long trip and i wanna save some petrol...i need to buy all those things from halfords i think...

Because from July last year, you need them to legally drive in France:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/9095573/Motorists-will-have-to-carry-portable-breathalyser-in-France.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was just reading on the AA site...saying that the 11euro fine for not having one has been postponed indefinitely...what im not sure if i need to have a fire extinguisher or its just recommended...i want to have only whats required by law not just recommended...and what position i need to put the switch so ill lower my beam? Tnx

Can't remember the switch postion, I think it's 3 (if that's the highest) to drop the beam to it's lowest.

Easiest solution would be to park it against a wall and have a fiddle until the beam moves downwards...or better still wait until dark and you'll see it moving down the road, the nearer it is to you the lower it is :lol:

A tip for you driving round France is make sure your lights are good, I drove round most of europe about 4 years ago and at that time there was a lot of roads including motorways in France that had no lighting and incredibly poor lane markings which made driving when either occured a little tedious to say the least.

U should see Romania...its murder :))) im just trying to get everything i need so over zelous cop wont give me a fine for not having warning triangle or whatever...its a long trip so i will try to keep my spending to a minimum...i hardly wait to take my puma for a ride around europe :)

You apparently need two breathalysers when driving in France. Rules differ from country to country, as well as how strongly theyre observed. French police have a penchant for pulling over cars with UK licence plates for "random" checks, especially around Calais and Dunkirk....ungrateful bastards!
Flying Scotsman said:
Due to the headlight issue of the way the light beams are actually projected, I have often wondered about getting some European puma headlights so you don't have to stick those diffusing stickers on to them.
If in Germany, you can be fined on the spot for not being able to produce a first aid kit or a warning triangle.
European and UK puma headlights are identical, they have the same markings on the headlights. One of the good things about driving Fords...

JoeB1 said:
You apparently need two breathalysers when driving in France. Rules differ from country to country, as well as how strongly theyre observed. French police have a penchant for pulling over cars with UK licence plates for "random" checks, especially around Calais and Dunkirk....ungrateful bastards!
Flying Scotsman said:
European and UK puma headlights are identical, they have the same markings on the headlights. One of the good things about driving Fords...
Rules for BT kit are as stated on hold,so if you don't have a kit you will just be told to get one.Don't forget very few shops are open on Sundays and many shops and restaurants are closed Mondays also.

JoeB1 said:
Flying Scotsman said:

I don't see how they can be identical.
UK headlamps have the light "kick-up" on the left-hand side, whilst European countries driving on the right, have the "kick-up" on the right-hand side.
Moving the lever inside the headlamp moves the shield (which creates the light/dark boundary), and blanks off the "kick-up", it does not move it to the opposite side.

YOG said:
JoeB1 said:
Flying Scotsman said:

I don't see how they can be identical.
UK headlamps have the light "kick-up" on the left-hand side, whilst European countries driving on the right, have the "kick-up" on the right-hand side.
Moving the lever inside the headlamp moves the shield (which creates the light/dark boundary), and blanks off the "kick-up", it does not move it to the opposite side.
Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I'm certain the headlight numbers are the same.

Never had a problem driving at night in European though.

Back