Tubular manifolds and cats

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGPlayer1

My plan with my car is to use it for mostly track, but I'll also want to get it out on the road for a weekend blast now and again. What I want from the exhaust is a tubular manifold, removable cat (for track use), straight through centre and suitable back box for noise regs, or one with a removable baffle.

I have the Hoffman centre pipe and a pretty good idea of what back box to get, and there's a number of manifolds out there to get. What I'm falling down on is the cat. I'm fairly certain that the majority of the tubular manifolds will fit straight to the standard centre pipe and remove the cat altogether, which would mean getting a custom job to allow for a removable cat.

I also know that FRPs have tubular manis and a cat, but don't know if the centre pipe is the same as standard or shorter, or if the mani is shorter. The price of an FRP system will probably put that out of my league, but I'd also like to know just for reference anyway.

If it comes down to it I don't mind having a cat in all the time, and get a sports cat, but it would be best for track and MOT if I could just slot one in for road use (yes officer).

The final option is to fabricate it myself with a universal cat and some flanges.

If anybody can shed some light on it that would be smashing.

Cheers,
Tom.

No help to your actual question, but I went to school and grew up with an MOT inspector's son.

He has a garage a couple of miles up the A56 from you, in a little town which sounds like it's always on special offer, if you know what I mean.

He is also partially sighted whenever any of mine or my mates' cars are on the premises ;)

There's nothing to worry about if the car is legit, which it obviously is every time. No self respecting tester would pass one otherwise, and I certainly wouldn't be found flouting the law :wink:

oilburner said:
[post]354963[/post] I'm surprised he's willing to risk his MOT licence

There's always one.

He knows that any of mine, or my friend's cars ferry our kids around.
As such, he would't issue an MOT if they weren't in fairly decent condition.
If there is anything a little iffy, he pulls us to the side and has a quiet word to say "get this and that sorted."
That said, I have had one fail with him with a leaky brake line. Anything dangerous and he just says no.
As for mine personally, he knows I keep on top of my own maintenance and knows full well that I'll sort anything he picks up on.

What is inferred is not always what is insinuated. Before this becomes the Spanish Inquisition let's just kiss and make up, or shake hands, whatever.

I would have thought getting a cat and flanges welded on for V bands and a suitable decat pipe shouldn't be difficult. Was Common practice in Volvo circles. I just used a 100 cel race cat on my Volvo to stop 2nd lambda telling tales on me to ECU. Alot easier with a single lambda pipe.

Yes I am certain I could knock one up myself, but being a bit on the lazy side I wondered if there's any prefabs out there.

I figure having a second centre pipe with a universal cat welded into it would do the trick, as my donor engine is a single lambda so it removes the issue of wiring and potential EMLs as has been the trouble for others running a similar system.

Latest posts

Back