Tyres And Petrol,re Track Day

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tula

Hi Guys,a little advice once again.Am hoping to do a track day Sat(if its not bucketing down) and am wondering what tyre pressure would be best for my 1.7,and also is there any advantage on petrol type,re engine performance.The husband doesnt seem to think so (what does he know,,he runs a single seater!)Would appreciate any feedback .xx

Wouldnt of thought that the higher octane fuel would make much difference. It could help, so might be worth giving it a go. I know in some of my older cars the switch of fuel made it more responsive in terms of acceleration. Stuck to using the good stuff afterwards.

Tyre pressure wise I cant help, dont even know what they should be standard.

Standard 32psi front and 31psi rears on my 1998 1.7. not sure about track use but a little lower would be benificial I would guess

i usually set mine to about 28psi for track

too high and car will be quite squirmy

I use 26 on the fronts and 28 on the rears. Fronts get hotter so increase pressure more on track. Found these pressures work well for me. Shell vpower! Stinks but it does make a difference. Good luck and have fun.

Thankyou all for that,will certainly help.Cant wait to see how we do ,my pride and joy and me,just so looking forward to just concentrating on driving and on her performance.xxx

Reechard said:
Wouldnt of thought that the higher octane fuel would make much difference. It could help, so might be worth giving it a go. I know in some of my older cars the switch of fuel made it more responsive in terms of acceleration. Stuck to using the good stuff afterwards.

Tyre pressure wise I cant help, dont even know what they should be standard.

I know the FRP is tuned but i ran on morrisons/esso fuel (because i had no choice) till today when i put Shell Optimax back in and you can definitly tell the difference its smoother across the rev range. Not saying its major but its responsiveness is by far better with high(er) Octane fuels.

Note: Was into the last litre of fuel with fuel light on so the difference was noticed straight away.

Pooh :cry: :cry: :cry: The track day has been cancelled,no explaination,just cancelled and I,m pi**ed off,will have to wait another month now. Will certainly take your advice for for the tyres and fuel.Thankyou again xx

Was!!!! was going to Lyyden Hill as its not to far,,,big bummer,,,,but another one, supposedly in a month so will have to be patient,give me time to save for a whole tank of high octane fuel!!

Its not a big track,but its quite testing in so much you really dont have a lot of run offs,so need to try and keep out of trouble!!!,not always in my thoughts as I tend to be a bit sh*t or bust.But would hate to bend my girl.

That's a disappointment. I'm sure you'll do fine next time tho, youve got more time to prepare :wink: don't worry about breaking it, you'll have more fun if you forget about it and just drive. A good little tip for you is lose as much weight as you can Tula. Not you, the car lol. Although... :D Remove anything you don't need. This goes for fuel too. The car will be faster with less fuel in it, don't just fill it up, put enough in the car to get you to the track and some for the first session. Quarter of a tank is plenty for the first shot then you can see what she's using and take a jerry can with you for the rest. A big one. Fill up as you go. car will handle better and accelerate faster. If you have someone coming with you in another car, ditch the spare wheel, jack, toolkit an all that stuff in their boot. Don't leave it at home and get stranded listening to my late night rantings! Hell I go as far as emptying my washer bottle then I put in 400ml for emergencies, I dunno maybe I take it too far :grin: but you can see my point. Hope this helps I'm drunk, home from the pub and bored lol.

Lots of uesful tips,with which i shall take heed!!My OH thinks I,m an anorak with her anyway :? ,so wont be suprised if I carry out all those little common sense tasks.Will let you know how we get on when we eventually get there :) xx

i like the way you put kisses in the end of your posts, its almost like a communial love letter

Back