uprated 1.7 cams

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krisrt

just like to say im liking the site a good edition to the ford tuning scene!

i drive a well tuned 1.6 zs but im sloting in a 1.7 when i finish refurbing it.

i have a set of high lift cams on the 1.6 of which i can use the exhaust cam but obviously due to the vct i am unable to use the inlet.
question is what do people recogmend i buy: std 1.7 cam, frp cam, shawspeed ss4 cam, or can anyone think of a better alternative?

thanks kris

FRP cams are good - but pricey, SS4 are probably ok, but not heard of them being fitted to a 1.7 TBH, just the 1.6 lump.

Checkout the piper cam page:
http://www.pipercams.co.uk/NewPiperWeb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... rames.html

Page 14

;)

I thought that the FRP actually used Piper cams anyway?

Sounds like a nice project you have going on there, i'd be interested to see the comparison figures after you've completed the work!

You could use both cams but you would loose the VCT, same if u fit the ss4

I have a 1.7 in my shed which im currently putting shawspeed ss5's into

red said:

Did you look at the piper catalogue I referenced? They do 4 different versions:

Fast road (272 inlet - 240 exhaust)
Fast Road FRP (272 inlet - 248 exhaust)
Ultimate Road (280 inlet - 272 exhaust)
Rally (288 inlet - 276 exhaust)

Pays your money - takes your choice.

Dal said:
red said:

Did you look at the piper catalogue I referenced? They do 4 different versions:

Fast road (272 inlet - 240 exhaust)
Fast Road FRP (272 inlet - 248 exhaust)
Ultimate Road (280 inlet - 272 exhaust)
Rally (288 inlet - 276 exhaust)

Pays your money - takes your choice.

yes cheers m8.
the cams in my 1.6 are the rally cams didnt know the name of them b4 i looked at the catalogue. looks like i'll just get the rally inlet cam for the 1.7. but im unsure at the momment how to set it up, can i put the cam in using the usual 5mm bar tool then allow the omex to rotate cam shaft via the vct to the required degrees. or will i have to set it up over DTC same as the exhaust cam. but im unsure of how many degrees the vct rotates the shaft by to make this decsion so a bit of investigation needed i think.

The piper site recommends different injectors when using Ultimate Road cams so I'd imagine the same for rally.

Dal said:
The piper site recommends different injectors when using Ultimate Road cams so I'd imagine the same for rally.

i know, its no prob im running 2ltr injectors all ready there good for 195bhp

This is from the FORD Technical Information System.
Variable camshaft timing (VCT)

The camshaft adjustment is map-controlled, but also responds to mass air flow, intake air temperature and coolant temperature via the PCM.

The solenoid valve is supplied with voltage pulses from the PCM that determine the required current.

Note:
If the PCM detects a fault in the VCT system it no longer supplies the solenoid valve with a voltage, and the VCT adjustment unit returns to its original position. This prevents any adjustment.

The adjustment of the camshaft is performed by a piston that moves along the axis of the camshaft.

This adjustment piston has an inner and outer helical gear.

The helical gears that engage in the adjustment piston are connected to the camshaft timing pulley (outer gear) on the one hand and the camshaft (inner gear) on the other.

Depending on the required setting of the camshaft, pressurised engine oil is delivered either to the front or the back of the piston to move it backwards or forwards along the camshaft axis.

The helical gears translate this axial movement into a rotation of the camshaft in relation to the camshaft timing pulley.

The build height of the adjustment unit was reduced by using two pairs of helical gears.

The camshaft timing pulley is directly linked to the crankshaft via the timing belt and is therefore not rotated in relation to the crankshaft during adjustment.

When the applied engine oil pressure forces the adjustment piston to move axially, the helical gears produce the following rotations:

— Rotation of the adjustment piston relative to the camshaft timing pulley via the outer helical gear.

— Rotation of the camshaft relative to the adjustment piston via the inner helical gear.

— These two rotations add up to give the overall adjustment angle of the camshaft.

In this way the camshaft can be adjusted by up to 20 degrees compared to the camshaft timing pulley.

The adjustment angle depends on the operating conditions of the engine.

Hope this helps

Sounds similar to what I was reading whilst bored at work the other day - the Patent for VCT as issued to Borg-Warner!

:pinkeye:

Dal said:
Sounds similar to what I was reading whilst bored at work the other day - the Patent for VCT as issued to Borg-Warner!

:pinkeye:

The Borg? Cool.

borg-701632.jpg

Back