Velcro?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian'

Hey,

Don't know if this is the right forumsection, but anyway

When being at Ford Fair this year I noticed that some of you guys use some sort of Velcro to attach your number plates your your car.
Might be interested in this since I need new plates anyways but need to be sure that I buy the correct Velcro, Don't want my number plates to fall off after a few meters..

So, Can you guys recommend this or is it risky, I live in a nice neighborhood btw :p ? If it's not risky which Velcro would you use?

most people wont realise that your plate is held on with Velcro.

I've never had a problem using heavy duty velcro

573890_1000_1_800.jpg

I used a full length strip, but reading the spec, a 10cm piece will hold 15kg, so no need to do full length :)

Hook and Loop is the correct name for this type of fastening, Velcro is the leading brand name for it and is usually more expensive. I have used it to attach the sill protectors.
You should be looking for a version which has an adhesive backing suitable for external use/weather resistance, especially in a cold climate such as yours! There are also different versions, some are meant for regular pulling apart (such as coat fastenings), others for irregular (such as furniture fixings).
When applying, pair up the strips prior to fitting (I used narrow strips), remove one protective backing strip and apply vertically to number plate. The reason for applying vertically is there is less of an "edge" to trap water behind the number plate. It also helps to round off the corners of the H&L, prior to fitting.
Next, remove the other protective backing strip and apply to bodywork.
Note: Make sure your apply in warm conditions to ensure the adhesive attaches correctly. I fastened the "loop" part to the bodywork so that it didn't catch cleaning/polishing cloths, which would happen if the "hook" part was there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161346460655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Got this one in my basket atm. It says it's weather resistant and used for heavy duty stuff

That's the same as the one spike. linked to above just with newer packaging. The same Velcro brand.

I've got a roll of that somewhere - used it on various cars without issue.

Back