Vibration when reaching 2000 revs after new timing belt

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheVarix

Hi everyone!!

I have recently taken the car to get the timing belt (+tensioner and water pump) changed and after a couple of weeks the car has started to make a loud vibration (something that I could describe as 2 pieces of metal touching each other extremely quickly --at the same rate as the engine revs. you could say)

The vibration comes from the engine bay and it starts when accelerating and the car is about to reach 2000 revs and ends when going over 2100-2200 revs (in any gear) and it is quite loud.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Did you take it to Steavie in the end? If so, I'm sure he'll be along at some point to assist.

Hi evilrob!

Thanks for your response. Yes, I took it to Stevie. He'll look into it this week to try to work out where it's coming from. Once the problem is sorted out, I'll post what it was as it might be helpful to someone with the same issue.

Usually the belt running slack and clattering the cam cover, Mine is doing it too atm lol incorrect tensioner set up is all we can put it down too

I'm getting this exact problem also! Did you find out what it was? I was hoping it was as simple as a loose bit of heat proofing in the engine bay?!

Jackal said:
Oh crap can that happen? I have a very leaky rocker cover!

Oh hell aye lol, Rubber goes stretchy when oil contaminates it. I've lost 2 because of leaks lol 3rd time I went and bought the proper Ford gasket which is the only thing that seems to stop them leaking

3! flippin heck, i don't want to fork out on a new cam belt! Is the only option to replace the cam belt then? Too late for anything else? I can fix the oil leak like you say getting a new gasket and using proper sealant, but please god dont tell me i have to get a new cam belt!

You need to take the cam covers off and run it first to see if it is the belt thats flapping first then go from there

3 10mm bolts, remove the auxillary belt shield underneath, belt and idler pulley to take the top cover off, It's a pain in the rectum just to check lol. Best get a garage to do it if your not too handy with spanners

http://www.projectpuma.com/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9307" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Is this all i need to do, then run the engine with the cover off? That safe? lol

Hey buddy,
Took the car in this morning, turns out it was a loose timing chain!
The guy handed me the car back this afternoon and said it would be a very costly job to fix, didn't give me a quote but did well to put me off having the work done. He said that the car will be fine without it done, as long as i can put up with the noise its fine.
Does this sound correct to you?

Nope lol, If the belts running loose it could skip a tooth on the cams and cause it to run rough or it could just snap and write off the engine. I would just budget a few hundred quid and get it sorted if you like your Puma running lol. But ask around a few garages to see if they have done one before because they arent an easy belt to change and you cant cheat fitting one as more than likely it wont run

Timing chain!!!!! If thats what he told stay clear of him,new cambelt kit fitted should cost no more than £300,if your near steavie pm him :eek:k:

im confused how come your not taking it back to stevie? ive read on here he is the nuts and done many cambelts, dont go back to the guy that said it had a chain! when you said clanging metal the first thing i thought of was the metal arm on the tensioner that stops the belt jumping back when you turn the engine off,the guy that done the job has probably forgot to torque up the tensioner bolts, i wouldnt say it was a big job if it is that,all you need to do is take the cover off put a 5mm pin in the tensioner and torque up the 2 tensioner bolts then pull the pin out, i would also check the timing while your there.

Latest posts

Back