Weight loss?!

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shane'o'mac

Attempting to get my puma as light as possible without sacrificing structural strength (as wont be fitting a cage just yet)..... I will be stripping everything I can see, even dash, and was wondering if there was any hidden weight anywhere? Sounds dumb I know but for example, upon reading Pumajay's build thread I found out that I could remove a fair amount of the rear bumper strength, whilst nothing substantial as mr tesco says "every little helps" anyone found anything that is surplus to requirements? Track car only so not fussed about creature comforts, PAS is is the last on my list! Thanks

once youve done the basic ripping stuff out routine, the biggest change you can make is ditching the glass and electrics from the doors, and replace with fixed polycarbonate, then chopping the frame of the door down. not done this on my puma yet but on my old mk2 fiesta i saved over 20kg.

also the tar sound deadening on the floors and bulkhead adds up to a fair old weight.

Kizza wow mate you really did go to town on yours, was a good read! With the roll cage though you are putting the strength back into the car, I don't want to commit to a full roll cage (not yet anyway) so I'm reluctant to take the roof strength and inner door structure out at the mo! Picked up some good info whilst flicking through your thread though! And stumc do you know of a kit for poly windows or is it worth buying from a supplier an having a go myself?!

I raced my mate today, from standing start and from 30mph 2nd gear and his deffinately had the jump on mine! His is well stripped (dash and everything visible, all the usuals) roughly same fuel.... Surprised me really, knew obviously he'd have a slight advantage but just straight line didnt know they'd be that much different! So swiftly returned home and started ripping mine apart!

Back