wet carpet

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FirstPuma

hi guys

yesterday i saw that my right hand side carpets were wet. (Left hand drive puma) so i got the seat out and lifted the carpet up etc and the sound deadening was soaked but never had any problems with it after 7 years of having it in the family.
Now i searched for the seals that are mentioned in many threads but can't really find them.
also where is the drain pipe of the airco ?
could there be another leak or something cause is saw a black round grommet in the doorsill and there was some water around it.
Hope i don't have to get the dash out cause it is my daily car.

Greetz

can only tell you how it is on a 1.7 but i guess its the same layout,The air con drain hole is in the center back behind the stereo,another place to check for a wet floor is where the main loom comes in through the bulk head,if you look under your bonnet your see a big rubber grommet,if yours is left hand drive i guess it will be in the left hand corner as you face the front of the car.

FirstPuma said:
Hope i don't have to get the dash out cause it is my daily car.
I can understand that concern, but many car related problems have solutions that come from non-car related areas that don't involve - 'mechanic see - mechanic dismantle' fixes.

You'll also find answers on the Net to this where people suggest silicone/gutter sealants - completely ignoring the fact that neither work on already damp surfaces and that water is very thin and can go where they cannot. :)

The answer, especially at this time of year, comes from flat roof 'technology' ...in other words, cars are not the only things that have to cope with being outside!

Locate leak area, mask off roughly with old newspapers and wade in with something like > this < ... 5 minutes, fixed and you're done. That one can go on damp surfaces and it can sneak into the same places that the water can sneak in.

To dry off the inside of your car - remove all wet/damp stuff that can be removed and blot areas with old newspaper. Then open car window (assuming car is in a garage) and aim a cold fan at the area and it'll dry it out in no time, as in, overnight.

Back