What dampers & bushings to the Eibach springs (E3581-140)?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alerno

Hi,

I read somewhere here that Ford had originally produced the little lovely Puma envisaging to use the dedicated developed Eibach springs (E3581-140) as the best set-up for the car, also employing the regular dampers. The car already handles IMO great without them, but aesthetically it does look artificially raised. I am buying the Eibach springs so I would like to know what is best according to Ford / Eibach and what is best according to you in your experience using them.

- Stock dampers? (code?)
- Kayaba KYB dampers (341965 KYB/333943 KYB)
- Any other sport/comfort dampers
- What bushings (code)

I just want the best, best handling while keeping highest ride quality possible (my back isn't what it used to be years... back)

My Puma is a Post-99 one but let's try mentioning everything relevant for the Pre-99 models.

BTW: What concrete, precise differences did you notice between equal Pre-99 and Post-99 rear axles? Any detail, comment, info, data is really appreciated.

Eibach normally recommends Bilstein B8. Not B6, but B8 which is basically the same damper, but with shortened rod to go with lowered ride height of the car...

Hi Coyote,

Wie gehts? How is your fantastic Puma doing? I don't know why I never read this message, I wasn't notified.

Thanks for the answer. I was told Ford used to sell the Eibach springs with the regular dampers. Are the Bilstein B8 stiffer/harder than standard? Only if they are regular I can use them (I have back problems, pains, etc.) My problem is I don't know what brand were the original OEM dampers were. Do you know?

When I put my Eibach's on, I used brand new standard Ford dampers with the revised top weights Eldude mentioned.

Still got them on five years later with no issues and the ride is great. One thing; make sure you get the revised bump stop correct as there are no instructions in the box and I got it wrong. This goes on the front, not the back!

And this is them fitted...

ElDude at Allison Automotive said:
[post]354866[/post] Interesting..didn't know about those mate.. :eek:

separate finis I presume? do you have it?

Puma black looks AWESOME :thumbs:

Thanks Chris. I hope you'll be working some magic on it soon.... Damn that pesky FRP....

The shortened bump stops came with the kit, they look very similar to the construction of the rear ones so I put them on the back. Shame they were for the front!

If you go over a aggressive speed bump now the front bottoms out the damper, guess that's why they designed them!!!

alerno said:
[post]354839[/post] Hi Coyote,

Wie gehts? How is your fantastic Puma doing?

Es könte besser sein. Immer :wink:

alerno said:
[post]354839[/post]
Are the Bilstein B8 stiffer/harder than standard? Only if they are regular I can use them (I have back problems, pains, etc.) My problem is I don't know what brand were the original OEM dampers were. Do you know?

The way I understand, the ONLY difference between B6 and B8 is the shortened rod for the B8. Having said all of that, I am using OEM springs and KYB Excell G shocks. Would like to bring body movements under more control, but the roads here are pretty bad so undecided on that and Eibach is unobtainable anymore so..... :cry:

Latest posts

Back