What Other Engines

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshLaw

Hi All,

What other engines (if at all any) can be put into a Ford Puma other than a Ford Engine?

Alternatively what are the best things to do to a Ford Puma to increase BHP to say approx 180-200?

regards,

The big problem with other engines is that people tend to go bigger rather than smaller and then affects the handling with some big lump up front.

If it were me (with deep pockets) I'd go for the small 1.0 3 cyl ecoboost that can generate circa 180bhp. That'd be a hoot.

http://www.focusrsparts.co.uk/fiesta-1-0l-ecoboost-revo-stage-1/prod_3546.html

gotta do more than just a remap for stage2 tuning.

what about 2.0 duratec engines? they are used in the higher power caterhams

The reason I ask - is that I have just bought the girlfriend a DS3 with the 1.6 THP 210 bhp engine in it. Its nippy to say the least.

Bearing mind that there are other newer engines out there i.e. the Alfa 1.8 TBI (240 bhp), etc or even the above engine - would, can any engines like this be put in the Puma or does it have to be a Ford only engine?

I understand that Ford do some new, smaller cc engines with greater bhp - but do I really have to stick with Ford engines?

With deep enough pockets and enough engineering/fabrication you could fit anything in there. The only boundaries are your imagination and your wallet!

There's a lovely little 1.5 3cyl from BMW that creates 230bhp in the i8; A variant is also in the mini so getting the bare unit shouldn't be too tricky. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_B38

There's been a few engine transplants over the years (even diesels) and I can't recall a single one that didn't bugger up the handling / chassis balance. Unless you go properly mad like Errol with his 2.3L 500bhp+ monster :eek:k:

Just to make some things clear regarding the ideas of engine conversion. The most logical route would be 1.6 ecoboost engine. It produces 150/180 and now 215 bhp ex factory.
There are some (big) hurdles. It is twin VCT unit with turbocharger and direct injection. So mapping of it is not a walk in the park. If you were to use the exisiting PCM (ECU) you would need to use FBW throttle, manufacture your own CANBUS, use the original fiesta/focus instrument cluster as that is where is the CANBUS gateway etc....
More or less same applies for any of the engines you proposed using with additional problem it is not a Ford unit so just about nothing is compatible and you would need most probably need new suspension, gearbox, driveshafts etc.
Also, there is a problem of detecting the speed. Puma uses VSS that has pickup on differential gear, newer cars use ABS signal. But that has to be new ABS (using hall sensors, not inductive like on puma) etc etc...
Like I said, it is not a walk in the park, and it can be done only as a project by someone who posesses all the required skills, tools and knowledge; if you were to pay for it the cost would be prohibitive times 3-4, I am affraid

One thought - was a conversation that I had with a Puma expert over the Ford Racing Puma and that was that the FRP body is a superb design but that is where it ends.

From a project perspective - the idea is to take the FRP body and change everything else.

Cheap option is the 1.8 Toyota 2zz unit. Been around for years now,190 bhp standard and revs to 8k rpm.Can be supercharged to 300 bhp with no internal mods.They feel very much like a Puma engine but lots of tuning bit available.Weakest part is the 6 speed gearbox but problems would not be so acute in a FWD car due to the dreadful lack of traction.

AshLaw said:
[post]356977[/post] One thought - was a conversation that I had with a Puma expert over the Ford Racing Puma and that was that the FRP body is a superb design but that is where it ends.

From a project perspective - the idea is to take the FRP body and change everything else.
Nice mid mounted lightweight V8 :grin:

A Honda engine would be a good swap to see. The B16 out of the EK9 CTR are cheap, small and very tunable. Also, VTEC!

gingerdave said:
[post]356978[/post] Cheap option is the 1.8 Toyota 2zz unit. Been around for years now,190 bhp standard and revs to 8k rpm.Can be supercharged to 300 bhp with no internal mods.They feel very much like a Puma engine but lots of tuning bit available.Weakest part is the 6 speed gearbox but problems would not be so acute in a FWD car due to the dreadful lack of traction.

That engines made out of chocolate. Used to love Celicas until I had one of these!!

FRPCurn said:
[post]356986[/post]
gingerdave said:
[post]356978[/post] Cheap option is the 1.8 Toyota 2zz unit. Been around for years now,190 bhp standard and revs to 8k rpm.Can be supercharged to 300 bhp with no internal mods.They feel very much like a Puma engine but lots of tuning bit available.Weakest part is the 6 speed gearbox but problems would not be so acute in a FWD car due to the dreadful lack of traction.

That engines made out of chocolate. Used to love Celicas until I had one of these!!
Really! I must have been lucky then.Had my Exige 10 years now .It's 256 bhp at the hubs with 200 ft lbs torque.Now done close on 50k miles including about 45 trackday never missed a beat.Im not alone know of a number of Exiges/Elise's that have been tracked for years and can only think of 2 that have had problems.Both due to oil starvation due to not having a baffled/Moroso sump kit.The only ones that seem to get problems otherwise have been buzzed on a down change which shatters the oil pump.Weakest part is 3rd & 4th gear which IS made of chocolate. Recall doing one trackday at Buggatti circuit in France few years ago was 'kin hot 33c were 2 drivers and car ran virtually all day and all it needed was a 1/3litre of oil at the end of the day.If you can do away with the silly cam change point at 6k rpm they are a very satisfying engine to pedal and the noise from an mp90 blower is addictive.I love em.There are a few Elise owners in the States who are past 220000 miles.As far as I remember they have only changed water pumps /starters etc.& Of course the the cam lift bolts.

Fiesta 1.6 Ecoboost is the obvious option as I'm sure it's based on the 1.6 Duratec which is in turn based on the Sigma engine in the Puma, 200bhp out the box plus potential for over 250, putting it that way make it sound tempting myself!

What ever the engine just buy the rest of the car around it? That way you get everything you need to fit the new engine. Ecu, complete wiring loom, clocks for that loom which normally hold things back (as explained above about the CANBUS)
Then you only really need to wire in lights to that loom and it's all done. (Sounds so simple ha ha ha ha)

So much easier if it running too, as you know it all works before tearing it apart- something you won't know just buying an engine

Do bear in mind engines weigh different weights! I fitted a gold Gti engine in my mk2 fiesta but was stupidly heavy and weighed it down to far! Much happier with the puma lump

With the way Ford is going i.e. fitting a 1.0 litre ecoboost engine into the supposed 2017 Fiesta ST that delivers around 202 bhp and Peugeot with their 308 1.6 270 bhp engine (aka Ford / Citroen / Peugeot engine) - it should be possible to find the first versions of this engine and drop it into a Puma and remap the ECU, etc.

i have been told any zetec engine will fit, a friend of mine fitted an engine from a ford fiesta st

There are pros and cons to changing the engine, the 1.6 Exoboost would be my personal choice - but at the end of the day, it's just a glorified 1.6 sigma with a turbo.

I would personally stick to the Zetec SE and increase the displacement to 2.0 litres.

Send me a message if you want details on making a 2.0 litre Zetec SE or would like to buy a block already converted with pistons, rods and crank.

In all honesty, 1.6 ecoboost is a bit more: twin VCT, direct injection (GDI) etc....

There was once developed 2.0 litre variant of 1.7 by Swindon Race engines for F3, IIRC... But the wall thicknes was very thin (due to the inadequate cylinder spacing)...

Back