What's this all about?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulQ

I bought a sparewheel carrier today. It was from an '02 Puma. Whilst de-rusting it, I came across this list stamped into the centre of it:

14327815660_66cfa0ae86_z.jpg

Any ideas what it's about?

Ford part numbers, but why they should be stamped on the spare wheel carrier I have no idea, also think some of those numbers relate to the Fiesta :?

zinc2000 said:
And some seem to be wire colour codes :?
I took it to have the paint chemically stripped off it, and the guy saw the stamps and said, "Did it have a tow bar?" He thought that it was the wiring to a 7-pin plug... but there's 8 of them.

I imagined the design team in Cologne:

A: "Und vot if zere is a trailer needed?"
B: "Do not vorry, we with stamp the wiring seqvence on ze inside of ze spare carrier."
A: "Ah yes, naturally! Zat is obvious! How foolish I have been."

1405 is spare wheel carrier, the first bit identifies the first usage and normally the model, V97FB normally meaning it was designed for the Puma.

Not sure why the full list would be on there, or what the colour codes mean.

This is the spare-carrier I bought the other day. It's been chemically stripped and Hammerited in "Smooth Blue". There are areas of minor surface corrosion-pitting but the main idea is that when fitted and viewed from the rear, there will be a touch of blue to liven up the otherwise solid silver.

14489172980_da9720ecb0_b.jpg

I may get round to using the same Hammerite on the drums and disc calipers (or a similar blue.) I've now got to think of a way of fitting it, as I'm stuck for getting the rear sufficiently high to drop the old one out.

As further updates,

1. The new front shock absorbers are now on. This has really improved the roadholding on rough surfaces, and got rid of the clunks - it seems the anti-roll bar bushes are OK (for now.)

2. Got a tow-eye and a pair of genuine, rear, full-moulding, mudflaps for £12 off a scrapped Puma in Hemel Hempstead*.

3. The rear arches are a bit on the desperate side now. Even Savlon and plasters isn't helping.

*The car was stacked 3 high so I couldn't do much examining of it. It is a 1.7 red and, like many Pumas that are deemed dead, looked in good condition... a sad sight.

Latest posts

Back