Wheel spacers?

ProjectPuma

Help Support ProjectPuma:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepingcat

Hi, recently picked up high level brake light
From scrappy, and while there noticed they sell,
wheel spacers, they had 5/10 & 15mm ones.
Ive heard if you fitt them to rear of puma,
It improves stability at speed? Is this true or
does it mess up handling when cornering?
Thought I might try 5mm at rear each side,
Any one else done this?

Cheers

I had an early '98 Puma which had 10mm spacers as standard, which I swapped for 30mm, an increase of 20mm each side.
It felt more planted and felt more stable round corners.

If you are going that route then dont go for rear wheel spacers but go for the axle spacers. The ones from the sport ka are 20.5mm and with the longer bolts are better than actual wheel spacers.

How far can you go? I mean, axle orwheel spacers are creating bigger twist on rear suspension. Over time it could deform rear beam. What are your experineces?

I believe 40mm is the widest I have heard mentioned, but 20.5mm and 30mm are much more usual.

Flying Scotsman said:
Yes much more planted. I am upgrading from 30mm per side to 40mm

Did you have any problems regarding rear suspension, notably rear beam? If I understand correctly, normally puma comes with 10 mm spacers. And I think I have read somewhere that FRP had some spacers just for the show (i.e. looks and presentation purposes) in the begining, but later they were reduced because of some long term reliability concerns from Ford?

Pumas up to april 2000 came with 10mm spacers to correct the offset. Onwards they had wider axles and no spacers.
The FRP's as standard got and additional 20.5mm spacer on each side with 32 press cars having 30mm spacers on each side.

Thansk for the info! I knew there was something with the first batch of FRP's!
Mine is one of the latest ones (just puma, not FRP) produced in 2001., I guess it would have no spacers? Then putting on 10 mm spacers at rear wouldn't stress the suspension too much, I reckon?

Thanks in advance,

I would think it would also not look much better or handle much better either with 10mm spacers, I mean it probably wouldnt even be noticeable in any way. I would get the 20.5mm ones at the very least.

You could always have the axle triangulated if you felt 30mm spacers caused you a problem :-D

I'd go for 20-30mm each side mate. The bigger the better as they say! :lol:

BigAl said:
I'd go for 20-30mm each side mate. The bigger the better as they say! :lol:
Like he said. If your gonna go for rear axle spacers why waste time and money with 10mm when you are better off with 20mm plus.

As I said: I am worried because of the twisting; the wider axle spacers, the bigger twist on the rear beam....
And if Ford went back from 30 to 20 mm, that is a message I am paying attention to.....

I dont know if there ever was a problem with 30mm spacers on FRP's, I dont think I have ever heard it mentioned before ever!

There were a set amount of FRP's that had 30mm spacers for promotion purposes to look better, the rest had 20mm, but that doesnt mean there was a problem with them.

Also the FRP's have 25 bhp more power and bigger wheels and tyres which you likely dont have.

Many people here iirc have had 30mm spacers and I never heard of anyone having a problem.The only spacer problem I am aware of is of the 10mm and 20mm spacers breaking. The smaller spacers are of a cast design the 30mm and above are of a billet I think its called design.

I just dont see the point going to the effort of putting 10mm spacers on as you probably wont be able to tell visually and you probably wont be able to notice an improvement in handling, and you may also find you have problems getting the abs sensor out to fit the spacers which may lead to having to buy new rear abs sensors. This might be a good case of "if its not broke dont fix it". Good luck whatever choice you make :thumbs:

I also read somewhere that Ford reduced the spacer width on the FRPs.. something to do with the integrity of the rear beam...

Back